Simmerit's build of the R.A. crossing over wooden bridges into Tunisia in 1943 - West Desert Build

I only wanted to know if a 6' RC model Dreadnought would be able to run in his bath...

No is the answer. Mrs’ daughter is 5’ tall and she fits in it. It’s there because you have to have a bath in a bathroom...

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Anyone do one in 1/35th?
Plus model from Czech Republic
Ra0ddbfa955f9e7aabb311873e1050e76.jpeg

Wespe Models of Rumania for £53.00. They also do a WOA2 Which AFPU used.
kit_35003-228x228.jpg
s-l500.jpg

Roy Models do a WOT 2 but trying to get hold of them is like painting fog!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
No is the answer. Mrs’ daughter is 5’ tall and she fits in it. It’s there because you have to have a bath in a bathroom...
She's five feet tall, the Dreadnought model six long.
There's your answer, no radio control, she can sit in it and steer.

Bit more reading on the AFPU if anyone is intertested

Bibliography

Autobiographies of AFPU servicemen

Grant, Ian, Cameramen at War, Cambridge, 1980.

Hardy, Bert, My Life, London, 1985.

Hopkinson, Peter, Split Focus, London, 1969.

Whicker, Alan, Whicker’s War, London, 2006.

Other works relating to the AFPU

Gladstone, Kay, The AFPU – The origins of British Army combat filming during the Second World War, Film History, vol.14, no. 3.4, 2002, pp.316-331.

Haggith, Toby, 'D-Day Filming - For Real. A comparison of 'Truth' and 'Reality'in Saving Private Ryan and Combat Film by the British Army's Film and Photographic Unit, Film History, Vol. 14, No.3.4, 2002, pp. 332-353.

Haggith, Toby, 'Filming the Liberation of Bergen-Belsen, in Holocaust and the Moving Image, ed. Toby Haggith and Joanna Newman, London, 2005, pp.33-49.

Hartwell, Keith, Ink and Image, 2008.

Sumner, Dawn, 'The work of the AFPU Re-evaluated: Forgotten Heroes, British Journal of Photography, March 2003, pp. 22-24.

'Birth of a War Picture', Illustrated, 28 June 1942, pp.9-13.

Other

Capa, Robert, Slightly Out Of Focus, 2001.

Penrose, Anthony (ed.), Lee Miller’s War, London, 2005.

Whelan, Richard, Robert Capa: the definitive collection, London, 2004.

Vaccaro, Tony, Entering Germany 1944-49, Cologne, 2001.

Website links

Two excellent sites by re-enactos who depict the AFPU, containing much information on the history of the unit.

Jeff Ball and Gary Hughes http://www.mmafpu.co.uk/

Stuart Williams, http://afpu.0catch.com

She's five feet tall, the Dreadnought model six long.
There's your answer, no radio control, she can sit in it and steer.
Ah! I'm guessing you've been to Peasholm Park in Scarborough. (Although their models are 20' long).

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ah! I'm guessing you've been to Peasholm Park in Scarborough. (Although their models are 20' long).
I've never been to such remote and backward places.

Except maybe Brackpan.

Back on track with the build a bit.

ECC66EE9-43C3-4388-8CE8-0D8EFD99D379.jpeg

that’s the last two lads primed now and Sgt Lansdown and his mate are primed also. Next step it to clean up the figures now I can see any imperfections and once that’s done, add the buttons.

still got mountains to do but it’s heading in the right direction. I plan to do this and the Challys in the week and get back on the Wokka at the weekend

Transport for the APFU lads has arrived

AB8F1106-630C-4289-8201-5A87AD228609.jpeg

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Transport for the APFU lads has arrived

View attachment 567314
Point of interest - maybe. I am just reviewing a pictorial book about 3rd US Armor in NW Europe WW2 and many of the jeeps had a rifle holster for the driver like this

Jeep.jpg

Might be a good addition for your model.

Probably worth a mini-review in its own right.
Point of interest - maybe. I am just reviewing a pictorial book about 3rd US Armor in NW Europe WW2 and many of the jeeps had a rifle holster for the driver like this

View attachment 567315

Might be a good addition for your model.

a bit like this one?

7699197C-B32E-4674-B805-564696673B6F.jpeg

I’m not sure if British keeps carrier rifles in a sling but I’ll be having a look at the jeeps in the piccies a few pages back in the thread and basically recreating them in every detail.

I went for the Meng model as apparently it’s got the best 50 and 30 cal cast guns seen on the modelling market to date (allegedly). I won’t me using them on my build so two for the spares box.

yes it probably merits a separate review.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
a bit like this one?

View attachment 567321

I’m not sure if British keeps carrier rifles in a sling but I’ll be having a look at the jeeps in the piccies a few pages back in the thread and basically recreating them in every detail.

I went for the Meng model as apparently it’s got the best 50 and 30 cal cast guns seen on the modelling market to date (allegedly). I won’t me using them on my build so two for the spares box.

yes it probably merits a separate review.
Would AFPU have had rifles?

Would AFPU have had rifles?

I don’t know. Probably merits a look at the piccies that lad sent me. They certainly had pistols as Lansdown lost his in 1942 and got a serious bollocking for it!

Ordered one of these. It was winter after all

3F385233-D897-496F-83C2-B07FB613B28D.jpeg

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don’t know. Probably merits a look at the piccies that lad sent me. They certainly had pistols as Lansdown lost his in 1942 and got a serious bollocking for it!
Yeah, I'm aware they were issued with pistols, but carrying longs is a bit out of order for non-combattants!

Latest Threads