Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simmerit's build of the R.A. crossing over wooden bridges into Tunisia in 1943 - West Desert Build

Something 4

Edit: fiddling with light and sharpness on the image I would wager a lot of somebody else's beer tokens on it being Something 4. There was a 24th Armored Brigade Group to which the 5th Regt RA was attached during the Desert Campaign (1942), based on some low grade google fu.

I think thats A4.

Battery A, Gun 4? 8 guns to a battery

exspy

LE
I think thats A4.

Battery A, Gun 4? 8 guns to a battery

"A" Troop gun 4. Four guns to a troop.

Medium Regiments had two batteries of 8 guns each. Each battery composed of two 4-gun troops. The troops were identified A to D. Senior battery with A and B and junior battery with C and D.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
"A" Troop gun 4. Four guns to a troop.

Medium Regiments had two batteries of 8 guns each. Each battery composed of two 4-gun troops. The troops were identified A to D. Senior battery with A and B and junior battery with C and D.
With HQ, the various Sp subunits plus adds/dets that doesn't sound like many boots to a regt.
What's the orbat supposed to be then/now ?

A
With HQ, the various Sp subunits plus adds/dets that doesn't sound like many boots to a regt.
What's the orbat supposed to be then/now ?

All I know about them is they are towing a BL 4.5 so a medium artillery regiment and it was Feb 1943.

I've pinged a mate who is an ex drop short and asked how to go about getting some research data on the piccie. I've no idea what the orbat was then.

Just banged an enquiry into the RA museum.

Last edited:

exspy

LE
All RA War Establishments for the SWW have been online on different websites for eons now.

Start here for Nigel Evans excellent SWW RA site.

WWII Forums (WWIIF) used to link to the Trux Models site which also had the SWW RA WE's but that doesn't seem to work any longer.

You can also use the wayback machine to go here for Tony Chadwick's long lamented War Establishment website.

DO NOT try to sign on to Tony Chadwick's old site without using the wayback machine. I just tried and got a nasty virus. Now it hurts when I pee.

There are probably more but these are the ones I know. Might want to try WW2 Talk as well.

Couldn’t do anything last night because of the worky thing but managed to get an hour in tonight

610944B8-FE3C-49B0-B611-DD6BB6EB8F77.jpeg

both legs and arms done now. Just applied the back of the greatcoat. This lad sits behind the driver.

This is taking longer than I thought it would. I’m sure the lads that know what they are doing must knock one of these out in a day or two. I’m more like 8 or 9 days per bloke (excluding screw ups).

anyway.

37D688EE-8136-4C4C-A3E3-37A1AC8324D2.jpeg

for one half of the jerkin on at the front. I should crack the other half tomorrow which gives me three blokes complete, two well under way and four yet to be started. A bit to do!

753BC01D-DF22-479F-BF6E-A048D24D128C.jpeg

A97F89F3-15E9-43E1-976F-6DDC76DA609C.jpeg

613E3BDE-E643-462A-9AD4-971C2EFC4149.jpeg

A little bit of patching up to do on his left hand arm as I got the shape wrong, but heading in the right direction. I’ll probably get some primer on the three complete ones at the weekend. I’ll know how bad they are then.......

This is taking longer than I thought it would. I’m sure the lads that know what they are doing must knock one of these out in a day or two. I’m more like 8 or 9 days per bloke (excluding screw ups).
Not really, when Dad converted all them in his Gas Attack diorama. Took him a month to do them!

It'll be, most likely, "Cymru am Byth"

got that one thanks. It’s the names which I think I’ve worked out.

hows your Cromwell going?

ACAB

LE
got that one thanks. It’s the names which I think I’ve worked out.

hows your Cromwell going?
Eeeerrrr, Badly I think is the term. I haven't done any serious modelling since Christmas,

That’s No4 completed. He may need a bit of tidying up but I’ll know after priming

39721AC1-AB09-4332-9F3E-58FB93A88983.jpeg