Builds Simmerits 1/35 Chally 2 build as I'm a bit bored and no-one's done one yet!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Chieftain AVRE Split North Port 1995:

IFOR.jpg
IFOR2.jpg

JDSC, SPTA Dec 1989:

JDSC.jpg
JDSC2.jpg

Looks like this build thread may go on for a bit.

D83E7FEC-D8E5-4DBC-BE55-6F2AC8154693.jpeg

Looks what’s turned up!

Call it a 2" smoke mortar or bomb thrower - most if not all British tanks used to have them. @Listy will know.

Well it depends. We've used a great many smoke bomb chuckers. But what's welded to the front looks like a 51mm Mortar. Although on bigger pictures it appears to be bigger than that.
tMo7p4Q.png

yes a nice little neat and tidy one.

Streetfighter has a three foot tube stuck on the front and the the turret is being used as the base plate. I assume the bi-pod is a couple fo the crew holding on to the tube and pointing it in the general direction they want to drop a bomb on? No-one shooting at them while all this is going on - clearly

It also looks, upon closer inspection that it can be operated from inside, which makes it a bit more sensible. Not entirely sure what the perceived advantage is though compared to a normal L18 combined with 120mm HESH.

Also a video if you want it:

Edit:
Oh on one video they have it as a 'Beamer Dozer blade attachment' according to the crewman who suggested it.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Well it depends. We've used a great many smoke bomb chuckers. But what's welded to the front looks like a 51mm Mortar. Although on bigger pictures it appears to be bigger than that.
tMo7p4Q.png

It also looks, upon closer inspection that it can be operated from inside, which makes it a bit more sensible. Not entirely sure what the perceived advantage is though compared to a normal L18 combined with 120mm HESH.
It's a 60mm mortar?

I expect the perceived advantage is indirect fire?

It's a 60mm mortar?

In built up areas? I can see the value in illuminating an area, but not much to be honest given its a tank and you are in built up city and town centres, and one tube is not going to be very effective is it? The other question is how do you aim the bloody thing, and how do you chuck more bombs down it?

Its daft if you ask me

It's a 60mm mortar?

Pretty much as Simmerit says...

In built up areas? I can see the value in illuminating an area, but not much to be honest given its a tank and you are in built up city and town centres, and one tube is not going to be very effective is it? The other question is how do you aim the bloody thing, and how do you chuck more bombs down it?

Its daft if you ask me

It has questionable value.

Lets see:
Ammo natures:
HE, what's wrong with 120mm HESH?
Smoke, what's wrong with the L18 smoke dischargers? Which produce more smoke over a wider arc.
Illumn, How much night vision is there already? This appears to only help the lower tech OPFOR. Equally, if this is the role, why isn't it on the back of the turret?

Here's the Swedish approach:
DvG0ouHW0AA-oPQ.jpg

Which is much more sensible.

I mean we've not been trying this idea for too many years:
lVq26cq.png

Now ask yourself, why this Idea never seems to go anywhere?

My guess, is the thinking of a 'intermediate' response between malleting a target with a 120mm HESH and the COAX.
However, two arguments here:
1: You've got a '50 on most versions of Streetfighter.
2: People have suggested graded response options time and again. Look at the plethora of tanks with 20mm-40mm secondary weapons. Every single one of these has shown not to work, as the general response is to use eitehr the COAX or the main gun, instead of faffing about with the intermediate. All the optional weapon does is take up space and weight and add another level of confusion.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Its daft if you ask me
Lyran was used for Illum rounds. Probably less need in this age of TI.

In an urban setting, I can see a benefit from being able to fire over, not through. Smoke for other than the vehicle itself also makes sense.

The big argument is about numbers of rounds, and conserving the right rounds for the right tasks.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Its daft if you ask me
It's what happens when you ask the troops what they want in their MBT.....;-)

I always thought 'Streetfighter' looked pump - they seemed to have just bolted on cameras where they'd be knocked off in seconds and ludicrous mockups.

Bit like a BMP3.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It's what happens when you ask the troops what they want in their MBT.....;-)

I always thought 'Streetfighter' looked pump - they seemed to have just bolted on cameras where they'd be knocked off in seconds and ludicrous mockups.

Bit like a BMP3.
I'd like to see that camera on the main gun survive a round or two.

Meanwhile. Back at the bat cave.

now I’ve got two CR2 TES models....... I can nick the tracks from one of them for the Berlin MBT.

ordered a new turret from InAccurate Armour also. I just may build the kit turret and do Streetfighter but I’m buggered if I’m sticking a ladder on the side of it!

now doing battle with the Trumpeter kit, which does have many issues of the first one, like

A7B2D89A-3C10-417C-88B8-52729FD046BD.jpeg

Everything is full of bloody holes, and

578832F9-4280-41D6-9490-79D2B7D81588.jpeg

4A9A9507-2DA1-4948-BDDC-8E02BA29E5FA.jpeg

E7EAC95A-2D0C-4E4E-A22C-15202F23D425.jpeg

Nothing bloody fits!

F0F26AEE-1545-4C67-99C4-CB87ED3C57B1.jpeg

Not sure if I need to fill this gap either. It may be welded but I’ll check.

so

2F2267C7-2A4D-4A05-83E6-D310A462577A.jpeg

This stuff is ace for filling cracks. Fnar

PLets see:
Ammo natures:
HE, what's wrong with 120mm HESH?
Smoke, what's wrong with the L18 smoke dischargers? Which produce more smoke over a wider arc.
Illumn, How much night vision is there already? This appears to only help the lower tech OPFOR. Equally, if this is the role, why isn't it on the back of the turret?

A few thoughts come to my mind
In Normandy there used to be a couple of Tanks in the regiment armed with howitzers for support
Smoke dischargers protect the vehicle

Which prompts a couple of questions

Is there value in MBT being able to lob smoke a few hundred yards up threat to support infantry

In an urban context in particular wher engagemennts can be close range and buildings interfere with shell trajectories is their value in an Infantry support(ing) vehicle being able to lob a lower yield explosive a short distance and over a small building.

Q3 of course is and if 1 or 2 are yes how often is it useful - the missuss saying yes - once in a blue moon or evberyday and twice on sundays

In Normandy there used to be a couple of Tanks in the regiment armed with howitzers for support

Is there value in MBT being able to lob smoke a few hundred yards up threat to support infantry

In an urban context in particular wher engagemennts can be close range and buildings interfere with shell trajectories is their value in an Infantry support(ing) vehicle being able to lob a lower yield explosive a short distance and over a small building.

Q3 of course is and if 1 or 2 are yes how often is it useful - the missuss saying yes - once in a blue moon or evberyday and twice on sundays
I’m not convinced about that mortar on Streetfighter

Filling done. This may take a couple of goes.

6FCEAF05-D0A1-4739-AD2E-6DC94FFCB00E.jpeg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m not convinced about that mortar on Streetfighter
Perhaps but it was always an ‘ask the troops what they can weld on over the weekend’

If you look at Black Night and TES you can see they are a little more considered, but not much!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
...being reminiscent of when the Sky TV guy turns up and just staples cable round the outside of your house.
Or the diddicoys wrap your chimney in brickwork wallpaper!

If only the infantry had some form of smoke they could deploy. Maybe something in, to grab a random calibre, 40mm. We could hang it from under their rifle.

Still a bit to do on the Dozer, but had a play with the Chally that’s waiting for the anti-slip

D0C13B95-6B73-41CA-9555-36AB6D9B2830.jpeg

Tomorrow’s joyous task is a track bash....

Latest Threads