Builds Simmerits 1/35 Chally 2 build as I'm a bit bored and no-one's done one yet!

Yes I am on with the Wokka and it wont be put back on the shelf, and yes I'm on with the Mat and making good progress but I'm a bit bloody bored and fancy assembling something so here goes.

Tamiya do a Chally 1 & 2 and they are fine kits. Cromwell models did a TES but NEVER EVER try and buy anything from him as he will take your cash and you will never see it or your model again.

Ryefield are doing some fine new kits which have just been released - they do a TES, an TES upgrade kit and a Chally 2 kit with no mods, then there is Trumpeter bless 'em. Old and cheap as chips - they do four variants - enhanced armour, a Chally 2 with no mods, an op Telic and a Kosovo complete with a dumper blade. You can also pick up an Airfix Chally which is a re-bage of a Trumpeter kit. Plenty after market to improve your build, but if I was buying now, I'd go for Ryefield as its stunning and requires no aftermarket, so it works out better value in the end. Its also quite accurate - allegedly. I've picked up a few Challys and a bit of aftermarket and after all this talk about how shite InAccurate Armour are, I got some stuff out for a dekko, and hey presto, bugger it - I'm going to do one. No other bugger has yet on here so what the hell.

Anyone wants to pile in with comment, piccies, experiences or whatever then crack on.

So to start.

IMG_0138.JPG

This is a really really nice bottle of wine. Just saying. A good place to start.

IMG_0134.JPG

Seventeen and a half sheets and bought in 1066 from Modelzone when they were still trading. It's sat in my pile for years. I'll call it the donor kit as I suspect a lot of it will be replaced.

Its got a few problems, most of which can be corrected with aftermarket. I've had to order in a couple of bits to complete it and i'll post them when they turn up.

I'll upload the other piccies from the phone as its taking bloody ages on the Mac

Dads203

Old-Salt
Trumpy turret is all to cock mate but the lower hull is more accurate than the Tamiya kit. Seen some of these built really nice though so its not a bad starting point . The gun tube you have is a bit anemic fella and I’m not sure anyone does a decent one.

Right I’m back. Comms are shite where I live and the piccies were taking ages to upload.

016CE665-21DE-4405-8BC2-AF4552962B2B.jpeg

This is a very good reference book and it walks you through some builds, but not this one.

C50D3656-7355-43E1-94E0-24C8EC3BF17B.jpeg

the wheels in the kit will go in the bin. These are from Panzerart and quite nice.

12CD92C2-EE8D-4684-8019-8BCA7D1AD48D.jpeg

bloody expensive and luckily no mould problems with the casting. I hate InAccurate Armour.

815FBD9F-E0B9-40AA-8724-22712A0E1BE9.jpeg

I’ll use the sprocket wheels. Tracks are redundant. Much better ones available now.

142EB8BD-BB9B-4A19-B6D4-EEF43422F60C.jpeg

78871777-C789-430A-8973-584CE7C528C4.jpeg

no idea what’s in here and it was expensive..

77C3F8DA-7B1D-4C87-A12D-4609D2B227CF.jpeg

Dont think I’ll be using this. It’s not the best.

A08BCFC7-AF96-430D-B274-5BF479DF24F2.jpeg

bronco tracks. WIP.

0ACB27E0-A272-422D-8BBC-454423DB1BDE.jpeg

and

2CFCF5D2-83A2-48B4-8711-3F8BB08E8243.jpeg

some

CB3D6011-0C2C-4A5F-9BF6-9AA7F5D1550E.jpeg

blokes.

Two more bits ordered. May need other odds and sods as I go

Trumpy turret is all to cock mate but the lower hull is more accurate than the Tamiya kit. Seen some of these built really nice though so its not a bad starting point . The gun tube you have is a bit anemic fella and I’m not sure anyone does a decent one.

beat me to it. I was uploading the piccies when you posted!

edited to add - waiting for smart arrse comment about the puttees

ACAB

LE
My wife got just that bottle of wine for her Birthday Sunday.

Spooky or what???

Good grief, you have my first Regiment in those sets of figures!

So done a bit and I’ll do a bit tomorrow then it’s back on the Mat and the Wokka at the weekend. Glad of the variety to be honest.

You can tell this is a seventeen quid kit.. ejection pin marks on every bloody part just about so far but fortunately you won’t see them behind the wheels. I’m not obsessing about this one so I’ve got no plan to fill them - ‘out of sight, out of mind’.

5D29AC2D-A4A3-42DB-9444-833506CFED51.jpeg

Disappointed with the casting of the PanzerArt wheels. Again, you won’t see the resin spruce marks so I won’t fill them - more ‘out of sight, out of mind’.

3ABF2031-5D91-495D-B498-0FFA87B2966D.jpeg

Also found these which are quite a recent release.

65A7CD91-9E58-47D4-AC74-D709759DB03D.jpeg

Just spotted this thread...

FWIW I have a fair few pics of CR2's taken on my gunner and loader courses in 2000. Most of the pics are on the tank park at Fally. If you are after pics of particular bits let me know and I'll see if I have any close ups.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
you need another bog standard kit and make it with just the supplied parts for a comparison

you need another bog standard kit and make it with just the supplied parts for a comparison

I do have a Ryefield Chally. I may post some piccies as a comparison point, bu I wasn't intending to build it yet as I have a Cromwell on the shelf which i'd like to pick up after this one

Just got the Ryefield model down and here’s a comparison just to give you a view.

45A78B51-BDBC-4E17-892A-F159B4040E4D.jpeg

Ryefield being the grey upper hull, I have heard good reports on their stuff, how do you rate their kits?

ive just had a good look and it’s absolutely stunning, and yes it’s the grey one. I’ve found myself with three.... don’t ask! That‘s 5 I’ve got in total Which is a bit daft but there you go.........

ACAB

LE
The Wife and I shared that bottle of 19 Crimes, Very nice it was too!!!!

ive just had a good look and it’s absolutely stunning, and yes it’s the grey one. I’ve found myself with three.... don’t ask! That‘s 5 I’ve got in total Which is a bit daft but there you go.........
is that enough tanks for a Squadron HQ?

I fancy making their Tiger 1 with interior detail, since seeing Dad's build

If Lego type construction kits are your bag why not build along
oos at Bovington but other vendors are available.

;)