Builds Simmerit’s British MkV Centurion build in 1/35

D

Deleted 136127

Back in the late 70’s early 80’s there was one of those divisive proposals put forward at an Officers’ Mess meeting of my Regt that the mess commission a silver Chieftain which would not only require the use of a considerable amount of mess funds but necessitated a healthy subscription form all mess members past an present.

There we’re two camps one supporting the proposal headed by the CO and the most of the senior element of the mess, the other being the more junior though more numerous party. As is the case with such democratic institutions the CO et al carried the day and an order was placed.

This is where the bit about Centurions comes in

Meanwhile the Regt went out to BATUS on MM1 at the commencement of live firing there was a demonstration shoot using APDS against a “new” hard target to which everyone was invited. The hard was a Centurion that had recently been dragged out onto the range and was all but a runner.

The night before the demo shoot a cabal of disgruntled officers acquired a large tin of silver pain (paint, tank interiors, for the use of) and the night before slipped out onto the range and painted said target silver. This not surprisingly did not go down well when we all turned up to watch the shoot the CO was apoplectic and refused to command the shoot, however it had to go ahead and an APDS was successful in penetrating the blacks of the Centurion, and the subsequent HESH also hit the target, much to the relief of the gunner, who just happens to be a member of this site.

View attachment 606896

This little tale therefore goes to answer the question posed earlier as to whether Centurions were used as hardship in BATUS. Couple more photos depicting said hard target after subsequent firings.
View attachment 606898
View attachment 606899

I won’t be painting it silver! It’s going to be bronze green.

A bit of progress but nothing worth a post. The lower hull on the Berlin Chally is done and the tracks are 90% there. Finally got the track length right on the Cent which was a pain in the burm to do.

18A029B6-48A0-4F09-93DF-D4682796C239.jpeg

F16EBC52-1039-402A-9EB4-791489A645D1.jpeg

the tracks are now ready for doing, so I’ll do these and the Cromwell and Centaur at the same time.

what happened with that build you were on with? Your last post had tracks done and lower hull complete?

I won’t be painting it silver! It’s going to be bronze green.

A bit of progress but nothing worth a post. The lower hull on the Berlin Chally is done and the tracks are 90% there. Finally got the track length right on the Cent which was a pain in the burm to do.

View attachment 606905
View attachment 606906

the tracks are now ready for doing, so I’ll do these and the Cromwell and Centaur at the same time.

what happened with that build you were on with? Your last post had tracks done and lower hull complete?
Progress has been made, just haven’t done any modelling for a couple of months due to the summer, now it looks like inclement weather I can get back to it. Will post some pictures shortly.

D

Deleted 136127

Progress has been made, just haven’t done any modelling for a couple of months due to the summer, now it looks like inclement weather I can get back to it. Will post some pictures shortly.

I was the same - I normally model in the autumn and winter but we’ve had a shit summer and the hip and spine were knackered so I’ve not been able to do much outdoors unfortunately.

Your build was looking nice, so I look forward to seeing that develop.

I do t think I’m going to do 5 builds in parallel again. It feels like painting the Forth Bridge. How sprocket does it is beyond me!

I do t think I’m going to do 5 builds in parallel again. It feels like painting the Forth Bridge. How sprocket does it is beyond me!

I know the feeling - I currently have six or seven different projects on the go but I have to fit these in at lunchtime and tea breaks at work, plus working on a new set of wargame rules and running a large, long-running campaign game in the evenings.

I have now set a date to retire and the pressure is on to get a whole batch of outstanding projects finished while I still have the opportunity to use my workshop and facilities.

D

Deleted 136127

I know the feeling - I currently have six or seven different projects on the go but I have to fit these in at lunchtime and tea breaks at work, plus working on a new set of wargame rules and running a large, long-running campaign game in the evenings.

I have now set a date to retire and the pressure is on to get a whole batch of outstanding projects finished while I still have the opportunity to use my workshop and facilities.

I'm in the unenvious position of not being able to do anything else because of the gammy hip. Once that's sorted the spine issue will go apparently.

So plenty time when you retire anyway, unless your mrs has a plan for you.....

Few pictures of the Centurion

1632752347888.png

1632752384408.png

1632752422884.png

1632752455284.png

1632752491849.png

1632752531375.png

1632752592765.png

1632752633156.png

Shows the scratch built mantle cover, and the 20lb MA, comes as a complete piece so no need for an aftermarket version as it looks good. Have decided to get some aftermarket side plates, as like all those that come with the kits just look a bit ponderous, they are 1mm thick which would make the real plates 35 mm when they are in reality < 10 mm.

Hatches etc need finishing and then a bit of weathering, the photos look very stark and bright due to the intense LED light I use and the limitations of using an iPad.

Next problem is what to do next

CR1, T64B M 1984, IS2 and am awaiting the Meng Chieftain to arrive, choices, choices, or I could finish the Conqueror.

Last edited:

View attachment 606971

View attachment 606972

View attachment 606973

View attachment 606974
View attachment 606975
View attachment 606976

View attachment 606977

View attachment 606978

Shows the scratch built mantle cover, and the 20lb MA, comes as a complete piece so no need for an aftermarket version as it looks good. Have decided to get some aftermarket side plates, as like all those that come with the kits just look a bit ponderous, they are 1mm thick which would make the real plates 35 mm when they are in reality < 10 mm.

Hatches etc need finishing and then a bit of weathering, the photos look very stark and bright due to the intense LED light I use and the limitations of using an iPad.

CR1, T64B M 1984, IS2 and am awaiting the Meng Chieftain to arrive, choices, choices, or I could finish the Conquero.
Ooh, the agony of choice...

D

Deleted 136127

View attachment 606971

View attachment 606972

View attachment 606973

View attachment 606974
View attachment 606975
View attachment 606976

View attachment 606977

View attachment 606978

CR1, T64B M 1984, IS2 and am awaiting the Meng Chieftain to arrive, choices, choices, or I could finish the Conqueror.

Decisions Decisions!!!!!

Nice build bu the way. Eduard to the skirts but I picked up a set from InAccurate Armour.

What green is that just out of interest?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
That is one ferkin huge gun on the Conqueror.
It's not really any much longer there than the L11 on the Chieftain.

There's a display of various barrels on a wall in the museum at Bovington. The 120mm L11 barrel, without its thermal shroud on, is noticeably skinnier than the 120mm gun used on the Conqueror.

The difference was down to improvements in metallurgy, which meant that the L11's barrel could be thinner but still cope with the pressures of firing.

It's not really any much longer there than the L11 on the Chieftain.

There's a display of various barrels on a wall in the museum at Bovington. The 120mm L11 barrel, without its thermal shroud on, is noticeably skinnier than the 120mm gun used on the Conqueror.

The difference was down to improvements in metallurgy, which meant that the L11's barrel could be thinner but still cope with the pressures of firing.
Looking again at the turrets, I can see it not much longer. Still, pretty huge for the time. On our tanks, anyway.

The mantle cover on the Cent seems various colours depending on age and whether they have been painted, see the film in post 83, to be honest I reckon you can paint it whatever colour you want.

Latest Threads