Builds Simmerit’s British MkV Centurion build in 1/35

Ta. That's really helpful. The L7 was fitted to the Mk6, and the Mk6 was the first Mk to get infra red lights, which were fitted beside the normal lights. Mk 5s had no lights fitted. Mk5/1 and Mk5/2 had a smoke extractor fitted to the barrel. Late Mk5/2s had an L7 fitted. That ,ales the one I'm going for a late Mk5/2 with no lights fitted!

Still no piccies of one though!!
Given that the difference between a Mk3 and 5 were minimal you could use any picture of a Mk3 as a reference for the hull.

D

Deleted 136127

Given that the difference between a Mk3 and 5 were minimal you could use any picture of a Mk3 as a reference for the hull.
1735E600-6698-4FD9-9ABC-5A21F788FAED.jpeg

Yup

I've just been on Amazon and there are bugger all books available either, which I find quite surprising. Of all the tanks that have ever been produced, this is one of the most prolific in terms of its purchase by other nations, its length of service and the No of MKs.

I may have found my first book subject.

'Anatomy of the Centurion'

A little tale of caution.
Not so long ago a Website asked for an article on the Chieftain. Now me not being mad, and having an inkling of what was involved said 'No way am I getting involved in writing that mess up!', One of our newbies said he'd have a crack. He asked me when Chieftain started, asking if it was 1955.

So I showed him the docs I have from 1946 (if memory serves on the date) which are the start of Chieftain, Then I gave him all the development work that happened in between that.

He's currently done 15 pages, and he's only just got to the prototypes.

I mention this becuase there's more to Cent than Chieftian, and making false comments about starting needed tank books, then failing to deliver, makes David Fletcher's moustache cry.

I’m really surprised. I’d have thought it would be a subject people would be very interested in. Unless I’m just a sad cnut!
It's simple. No one gives a flying **** about British kit. Hence why the myth of British shittiness prevails even today. Equally, a lot of the of individuals who write about German kit are hardly likely to say 'No, actually the Germans are clownshoes when it comes to designing stuff, and the British found out they'd forgotten how to make metal quality as bad as German stuff'.

When publishing books you get vastly more points if you can mention Tiger's, panzer's or Hitler in the title somehow.

Also Crowood books are usually pretty detailed:

IIRC aren't Bill Munro's books deemed to be pretty bad and inaccurate these days? Didn't he stop and go back to writing books about taxi's or something?

Ta. That's really helpful. The L7 was fitted to the Mk6, and the Mk6 was the first Mk to get infra red lights, which were fitted beside the normal lights. Mk 5s had no lights fitted. Mk5/1 and Mk5/2 had a smoke extractor fitted to the barrel. Late Mk5/2s had an L7 fitted. That ,ales the one I'm going for a late Mk5/2 with no lights fitted!

Still no piccies of one though!!
What are those things on the front of the MK3? Two of them, mounted vertically in the centre of the glacis.

D

Deleted 136127

What are those things on the front of the MK3? Two of them, mounted vertically in the centre of the glacis.

looking at the ones on the model instructions, they look to be some sort of vent which is odd. I’d have thought the last thing you’d want is any form of weakness building into that

D

Deleted 136127

A little tale of caution.
Not so long ago a Website asked for an article on the Chieftain. Now me not being mad, and having an inkling of what was involved said 'No way am I getting involved in writing that mess up!', One of our newbies said he'd have a crack. He asked me when Chieftain started, asking if it was 1955.

So I showed him the docs I have from 1946 (if memory serves on the date) which are the start of Chieftain, Then I gave him all the development work that happened in between that.

He's currently done 15 pages, and he's only just got to the prototypes.

I mention this becuase there's more to Cent than Chieftian, and making false comments about starting needed tank books, then failing to deliver, makes David Fletcher's moustache cry.

It's simple. No one gives a flying **** about British kit. Hence why the myth of British shittiness prevails even today. Equally, a lot of the of individuals who write about German kit are hardly likely to say 'No, actually the Germans are clownshoes when it comes to designing stuff, and the British found out they'd forgotten how to make metal quality as bad as German stuff'.

When publishing books you get vastly more points if you can mention Tiger's, panzer's or Hitler in the title somehow.

IIRC aren't Bill Munro's books deemed to be pretty bad and inaccurate these days? Didn't he stop and go back to writing books about taxi's or something?

I hear you Reva book. Each Mk is Probably a chapter in its own right, let along before you get onto the the export markets.

I’m looking at the model along side the Cromwell I’ve nearly finished and the Chally 2 I’m on with and the Cent is stunning. It’s hard to believe is was designed during the war.

Interesting, so was Chieftain the first MBT to see BATUS? I did see Centurion Hulks on a small arms range/assault course in BATUS 82, Must have been bought off the Canadians, if they used Cents? We did a cas evac from a centurion with some of our neighbors from the RTR, we were amazed how the lads had Banter with their officers.
Bains "your hands cold Sir?"
LT " No Bains"
Bains "Giz a **** then Sir"
Lt "I wouldn't give you a **** Bains"
Chieftain was indeed the first of our MBTs in BATUS, 4RTR was the first armoured Regt to deploy to the prairies on exercise in July 1972, the following website gives a little detail of the first exercise, starts after the self congratulatory articles on COs and NI tour.

My father was on an exchange posting in the Cdn DoD during this time and the duty rumour there was that one of the first Chieftains unloaded in Vancouver harbour missed the ramp and ended up at the bottom of the harbour, most likely though that tale should be in the Army Urban Myths thread.

On future deployment of Chieftain to BATUS they were shipped to Halifax, Nova Scotia and forwarded to Alberta by train, if you thought deploying to Soltau by train was tedious try crossing the Atlantic in an LSL then across Canada by train, not the most popular tasking.

Some of the hard targets certainly were ex Cdn Cents.

I
looking at the ones on the model instructions, they look to be some sort of vent which is odd. I’d have thought the last thing you’d want is any form of weakness building into that
Always thought that they were the headlights. The position is most puzzling, though.

D

Deleted 136127

Resin wheels have come and the etch. Here are the kit wheels compared to the resin wheels. Note the reinforced rim.

AC3239CE-EC49-4EB4-92FF-1AA6EEAB8773.jpeg

42831725-D5CD-4934-96F8-D14D347A78F7.jpeg

these are the only correct ones on the market, so don’t go dashing out and buying anything else other than these fro:sovereign models.

web site a few pages back.

the etch looks like a good call but more of that later. The only thing I’m missing now is the Mk5 mantlet cover and I’m good to go to nail it. And the others.

I’m going at the speed of Sprocket now!

Resin wheels have come and the etch. Here are the kit wheels compared to the resin wheels. Note the reinforced rim.

View attachment 606099

View attachment 606100

these are the only correct ones on the market, so don’t go dashing out and buying anything else other than these fro:sovereign models.

web site a few pages back.

the etch looks like a good call but more of that later. The only thing I’m missing now is the Mk5 mantlet cover and I’m good to go to nail it. And the others.

I’m going at the speed of Sprocket now!
Never could find a mantle cover so had to scratch build one, can you let us know where you get it from please.

They look like IR lights:
vrn72r2ghvp51.jpg

They're not vents otherwise this would have holes:
centurion_iii_16_of_24.jpg

exspy

LE
This chart is from a modelling website which used Simon Dunstan's book MCFV2 Centurion for the numbers.

Type
Years Built
Main Gun
Co-axial Gun
Turret Types
Number Built
A41 Mk 1
1944 - 1948​
17-pdr Mk 67.92mm BesaSome w/20mm
100​
A41A Mk 2
1945 - 1948​
17-pdr Mk 67.92mm Besa20mm deleted
250​
Mk 3
1948 - 1956​
20-pdr7.92mm Besa3 versions
2283​
FV4011 Mk 5
1956 - 1958​
20-pdr.30 Browning4 versions
221​
FV4007 Mk 7
1953 - 1960​
20-pdr.30 BrowningNew turret
775​
FV4012 Mk 8
1956​
20-pdr.30 BrowningNew turret
108​
FV4015 Mk 9
1959​
105mm L7A1.30 BrowningMk 7 turret
1​
FV4017 Mk 10
1959 - 1960​
105mm L7A1.30 BrowningNew turret
155​

What this shows is that the majority of the Centurions built were Mk3's. They were upgraded throughout their service. There were, with the exception of the Mk7, very few new builds of newer marks. You can see there were no new built Mk11's or Mk12's. Also note that between the Mk3 and the Mk5 were 7 different turret designs. FYI.

Latest Threads