Builds Simmerit’s British MkV Centurion build in 1/35

I've got a straight Mk 5, which from what I have read was manufactured from 1949 believe it or not. I'm doing a Mk5/2 which got the L7 gun, which from what I have seen, appears to have been fitted from 1958. Mk 5/2s were around in 1964/65 ish - again from what I've picked up.

Dates and mods to Cents creating new MKs are all a bit vague from what I've seen so far.
If you look at the second picture, the Cent behind has got the L7 105 gun. I’ve not seen that camouflage before on a Cent, can’t be classed as BATUS as I don’t think Centurion Gun tanks went out there.

D

Deleted 136127

If you look at the second picture, the Cent behind has got the L7 105 gun. I’ve not seen that camouflage before on a Cent, can’t be classed as BATUS as I don’t think Centurion Gun tanks went out there.
I've seen photos of that scheme in one of the Tankograd books. I think it was about the same time the yanks were toying with similar patterns and colours.

I’m not finding many piccies of British Mk5/2 Cents on the hinterweb. It looks like the L7 was fitted at manufacture on the Mk6 and a mod for the Mk5/1 which made it the MK5/2.

Considering it’s billed the the most successful MBT ever produced, I’m really surprised at the lack of and poor quality of information on the hinterweb. I think I’m going to have to try and pick up some reading material on the Cent and see if there is any more definitive information on it.

I’m not finding many piccies of British Mk5/2 Cents on the hinterweb. It looks like the L7 was fitted at manufacture on the Mk6 and a mod for the Mk5/1 which made it the MK5/2.

Considering it’s billed the the most successful MBT ever produced, I’m really surprised at the lack of and poor quality of information on the hinterweb. I think I’m going to have to try and pick up some reading material on the Cent and see if there is any more definitive information on it.
Agreed there seems to be very few definitive pictures out there which is surprising.

The following film shows a variety of Centurions looks like there was a mixed fleet at one time the amalgamation parade dates this as 1959. It may be of use to you.

D

Deleted 136127

Agreed there seems to be very few definitive pictures out there which is surprising.

The following film shows a variety of Centurions looks like there was a mixed fleet at one time the amalgamation parade dates this as 1959. It may be of use to you.

£120m to keep BAOR in Germany!!!! And good old Sgt Amos. I bet he got some stick!!

BFB91166-1F03-418A-BA4A-273C80EE845E.png

Here’s a build for @aardvark64 to tackle. Looks right up his street.

D

Deleted 136127

I've just been on Amazon and there are bugger all books available either, which I find quite surprising. Of all the tanks that have ever been produced, this is one of the most prolific in terms of its purchase by other nations, its length of service and the No of MKs.

I may have found my first book subject.

'Anatomy of the Centurion'

I've just been on Amazon and there are bugger all books available either, which I find quite surprising. Of all the tanks that have ever been produced, this is one of the most prolific in terms of its purchase by other nations, its length of service and the No of MKs.

I may have found my first book subject.

'Anatomy of the Centurion'
I also tried that, there seems to be more on the Israeli and S African variants than anything else, probably just an offshoot of the WW2 German fanboi club.

There is a Haynes manual but it is also a bit thin on detail.

D

Deleted 136127

I also tried that, there seems to be more on the Israeli and S African variants than anything else, probably just an offshoot of the WW2 German fanboi club.

There is a Haynes manual but it is also a bit thin on detail.
I’m really surprised. I’d have thought it would be a subject people would be very interested in. Unless I’m just a sad cnut!

ches

LE
Fcuk a duck. That was so mind numbingly excruciating, I’ve eaten my own head.

It’s taken me the whole day to do these but they are done. Thank god.

How you lot did this for a living with the big ones is beyond me. I would have employed highly skilled immigrant workers to do it for me and gave them biscuits AB as a reward. Clearly I’d have eaten all the garibaldi biscuits myself as they were proper yummy.

That was a nightmare in a damaged brain.

Point of order there m'lud if i may.

Biscuits Fruit (to give them their proper &, imo, more ally name) are/were different from Garibaldi's. I know cos BF are a food of the gods (alongside a bacon sarney) so my familiarity with them is standing joke amongst my oppos - even as a no mark civvy i'll scarf them off ppl who've got hold of knock off out of date rat packs to the point i've chased them around a car park trying to grab a packet. Garibaldi's ala asda, tescos etc are a harder more crunchy outside texture & a somewhat poor substitute for the real deal.

It looks like the L7 was fitted at manufacture on the Mk6 and a mod for the Mk5/1 which made it the MK5/2.

I think it was the Mk6 that also changed all of the nuts, bolts and other widgits from Whitworth to Unified.

D

Deleted 136127

Biscuits Fruit (to give them their proper &, imo, more ally name) are/were different from Garibaldi's. I know cos BF are a food of the gods (alongside a bacon sarney) so my familiarity with them is standing joke amongst my oppos - even as a no mark civvy i'll scarf them off ppl who've got hold of knock off out of date rat packs to the point i've chased them around a car park trying to grab a packet. Garibaldi's ala asda, tescos etc are a harder more crunchy outside texture & a somewhat poor substitute for the real deal.

Now that is really interesting because I always thought they were just badly made Garibaldi’s.

I too would have sold my soul for them as they are nectar of the gods and I struggle with putting them up there with a bacon sarny, or even dare I say it, a bacon and egg sarny with runny yolk and tomato ketchup. Even compared to that, Biscuits Fruit are way better.

I want some. Now.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Now that is really interesting because I always thought they were just badly made Garibaldi’s.

I too would have sold my soul for them as they are nectar of the gods and I struggle with putting them up there with a bacon sarny, or even dare I say it, a bacon and egg sarny with runny yolk and tomato ketchup. Even compared to that, Biscuits Fruit are way better.

I want some. Now.
Never really liked Biscuits Fruit...

D

Deleted 136127

The Images of War book on the Centurion is free on the net.

https://www.worldhistory.biz › download567 › Ce...World history › download567 › Ce...PDF

Ta. That's really helpful. The L7 was fitted to the Mk6, and the Mk6 was the first Mk to get infra red lights, which were fitted beside the normal lights. Mk 5s had no lights fitted. Mk5/1 and Mk5/2 had a smoke extractor fitted to the barrel. Late Mk5/2s had an L7 fitted. That ,ales the one I'm going for a late Mk5/2 with no lights fitted!

Still no piccies of one though!!

Interesting, so was Chieftain the first MBT to see BATUS? I did see Centurion Hulks on a small arms range/assault course in BATUS 82, Must have been bought off the Canadians, if they used Cents? We did a cas evac from a centurion with some of our neighbors from the RTR, we were amazed how the lads had Banter with their officers.
Bains "your hands cold Sir?"
LT " No Bains"
Bains "Giz a **** then Sir"
Lt "I wouldn't give you a **** Bains"

Star of the film was the squadron dog IMHO... ;-)