Builds Simmerit’s British MkV Centurion build in 1/35

D

Deleted 136127

The gun is a one piece mould!!! What a great call. Shame I’m using the L7 though.

quick mock up.

3158595B-7D1C-49DD-B6FE-7C11489DBEC2.jpeg

B95F66C7-B091-454B-9DE4-214EE2C62518.jpeg

DA842BAF-4FFD-499B-A145-A53967918EE0.jpeg

back on the Berlin Chally tonight!

NSP

LE
Oooh, lovely - a British classic.

A varied selection of reference images in the forum library, including some good interior courtesy of Bovvy chopping one of theirs in half:-

Interestingly, the Centurion owes a lot of its combat success to the designers realising that the most common kill shots were into the turret due to its visibility and the desire not to kill the vehicle but kill the critical crew of commander and gunner, plus thinner armour (at the time). Most kills were outright because the penetration would set the ammo off so the Cent' team moved the ammo stowage down into the hull below the most common point of aim and behind thicker armour, improving the survivability of the vehicle when shot at with kinetic rounds. Explosive penetrators would of course, if hitting hard enough and at an appropriate angle, still **** up the turret crew if they went off as they came through. Ditto kinetics if they generated spall - although there were ways to mitigate that, even before the invention of kevlar lining material.

Lots of lovely info, pics and first-hand accounts of combat in Korea, amongst other theatres, in this excellent book, detailing relatively light injuries and a salvageable, if not still combat-effective, vehicle after taking hits to the turret:-

Amazon product

Last edited:
D

Deleted 136127

Oooh, lovely - a British classic.

A varied selection of reference images in the forum library, including some good interior courtesy of Bovvy chopping one of theirs in half:-

Interestingly, the Centurion owes a lot of its combat success to the designers realising that the most common kill shots were into the turret due to its visibility and the desire not to kill the vehicle but kill the critical crew of commander and gunner, plus thinner armour (at the time). Most kills were outright because the penetration would set the ammo off so the Cent' team moved the ammo stowage down into the hull below the most common point of aim and behind thicker armour, improving the survivability of the vehicle when shot at with kinetic rounds. Explosive penetrators would, if hitting hard enough and at an appropriate angle, would of course still **** up the turret crew if the went off as they came through. Ditto kinetics if they generated spall - although there were ways to mitigate that, even before the invention of kevlar lining material.

Lots of lovely info, pics and first-hand accounts of combat in Korea, amongst other theatres, in this excellent book:-

Amazon product

Just watched the Bovy youtube and now on a 45 minute documentary on two restorations - one at Duxford and the other in Canada.

I'll take a look at the re piccies thank you.

D

Deleted 136127

7021ACC9-7861-4D14-B879-7814AD6D4DD5.jpeg
First goody has arrived.

I prefer these to Friul tracks. Each track is individually pinned with two plastic pins. A pain to assemble but a better end product.

Interesting to see there are only 200 links. The Amusing Hobby tracks are 102 links per track. We will see what one of these builds up to look like.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
View attachment 605723First goody has arrived.

I prefer these to Friul tracks. Each track is individually pinned with two plastic pins. A pain to assemble but a better end product.

Interesting to see there are only 200 links. The Amusing Hobby tracks are 102 links per track. We will see what one of these builds up to look like.

Packet says 220 links?

D

Deleted 136127

I know your doing an early Cent, but if anyone else is starting one.
HQ Troop Badger 2RTR Münster early 60s, not seen this camouflage before.View attachment 605915View attachment 605916

I've got a straight Mk 5, which from what I have read was manufactured from 1949 believe it or not. I'm doing a Mk5/2 which got the L7 gun, which from what I have seen, appears to have been fitted from 1958. Mk 5/2s were around in 1964/65 ish - again from what I've picked up.

Dates and mods to Cents creating new MKs are all a bit vague from what I've seen so far.

D

Deleted 136127

3802FC80-D7E9-4279-B819-FFAB8B11D183.jpeg
Fcuk a duck. That was so mind numbingly excruciating, I’ve eaten my own head.

It’s taken me the whole day to do these but they are done. Thank god.

How you lot did this for a living with the big ones is beyond me. I would have employed highly skilled immigrant workers to do it for me and gave them biscuits AB as a reward. Clearly I’d have eaten all the garibaldi biscuits myself as they were proper yummy.

That was a nightmare in a damaged brain.

View attachment 605938Fcuk a duck. That was so mind numbingly excruciating, I’ve eaten my own head.

It’s taken me the whole day to do these but they are done. Thank god.

How you lot did this for a living with the big ones is beyond me. I would have employed highly skilled immigrant workers to do it for me and gave them biscuits AB as a reward. Clearly I’d have eaten all the garibaldi biscuits myself as they were proper yummy.

That was a nightmare in a damaged brain.
It’s therapeutic :)

Dear god you have to be kidding. My brain hurts
I find it gives me the opportunity to disengage my brain and think about all sorts of other things, as opposed to the real thing that is just exceedingly hard physical work. Tended to do it as a troop task when in barracks, once had to replace the tracks on my Chieftain in the German town of Coppenbrügge on a Saturday morning.

D

Deleted 136127

I find it gives me the opportunity to disengage my brain and think about all sorts of other things, as opposed to the real thing that is just exceedingly hard physical work. Tended to do it as a troop task when in barracks, once had to replace the tracks on my Chieftain in the German town of Coppenbrügge on a Saturday morning.

I’ve done one and a half tracks in one sitting, with breaks for a brew only. Grim

D

Deleted 136127

B3093B9A-13F5-4808-B61E-D26D7F5AE468.jpeg
That’s it for the day. Hopefully the etch, new wheels and L7 gun will land tomorrow.

Bronze green or nato black and US olive drab are the two options. It’s circa 1964