Silver Shadows

Can you believe the army are still making recruits wear this damaging footwear? They are largely responsible for causing tendon problems in my knee and quite frankly think they should be buried with a steak through them!!

True. Fucked my feet right up. Took 6 months of physio to sort.
Useless pieces of shit.

I had problems on and off for last few years but got a really good pair of nike couple of months ago, been training a lot for P coy recently, so far so good. The difference is amazing!

According to the Lichfield JI's, which someone posted in Training Wing last week, everyone now has the 'option' to purchase PT03's at extra cost - otherwise they'll be issued with Silver Shadows.

I'd imagine the 'choice' in that is minimal ;)

crescent said:
According to the Lichfield JI's, which someone posted in Training Wing last week, everyone now has the 'option' to purchase PT03's at extra cost - otherwise they'll be issued with Silver Shadows.

I'd imagine the 'choice' in that is minimal ;)
Not at Pirbright, recruits still have to wear Silver Shadows

You have to wear those during training? They might as well issue you flip flops! WTF that's rediculous. I knew they were issue but thought you could use your own running shoes if you had them.. thats madness.

J.

Years ago on a friday afternoon before silver shadows had been properly tested some fat tw@t in the defence procurement ordered to many and now generations of squaddies will suffer cos it costs far to much to replace.

Until it can be proven in court and we can sue the @sses off the bitches.

Back in the 80's when somebody got given Silver Shadows instead of the Lead trainers we were using, we all thought you jammy barsteward. But as you say they are a nightmare on your tendons. :x

No, Royal Engineers, the Silver Shadows are an awful trainer, and only the British Army have the damn foolery to issue them to Soldiers for training. As you can see, they don't do you any good.

ITC have to wear them too, we were given the option to buy our own at phase 2 at 3RSME but I didnt know how lethal to your tendons they were back then.
Advive to anyone here joining up : suffer them through training but invest in a decent pair ASAP to avoid injury!

It seems to me that there are probably hundreds of Silver shadows issued week in week out, and only a few are moaning about the damage being done to tendons etc.

The biggest moan has to be because of fashion above anything else.

IMHO some of you are just ambulance chasing and have claims direct on speed dial in your phone.

zipit said:
It seems to me that there are probably hundreds of Silver shadows issued week in week out, and only a few are moaning about the damage being done to tendons etc.

The biggest moan has to be because of fashion above anything else.

IMHO some of you are just ambulance chasing and have claims direct on speed dial in your phone.
Speak to the physios about it then. Silver Shadows dont have arch supports on them which causes serious problems with your feet and achilles tendons.

From Winchester ATR JI's:

"Recruits are only permitted to wear the issued Silver Shadows. No other form of training shoe is permitted on PT lessons."

Link: http://www.army.mod.uk/linkedfiles/atr/atr_winchester/joining_instructions_jun07.pdf

Litchfield ATR JI's:

"A key concern is that we prevent injury during physical training. To this end the Army issues a pair of basic training shoes to all recruits. However, the current issued shoes have their limitations. We feel that it is only right that we offer you the chance to wear better training shoes if you so wish in order to further reduce the risk of injury. After conducting trials, the Army has authorised the use of UK Gear's PT03 training shoes. We cannot allow you to use your own shoes if they are of a different brand as we have no way of telling if they are suitable for our rigorous PT programme, nor can you use your own PT03 shoes unless you can prove that they are new (shoes have a life of 6 months or less if undergoing intense training). We will offer you the chance to authorise the cost of a pair of PT03 shoes to be deducted from your pay. No profit will be added to the shoes and you would receive them at cost price, approx £35. At the end of the day the choice is yours and you will not be forced to buy UK Gear trainers if you do not wish to do so."

Link: http://www.army.mod.uk/linkedfiles/atr/atr_lichfield/recruit_joining_instructions.pdf

Interesting?

I do welcome the odd trollish post zipit, it brightens up the site, but just incase you're being serious, the few that are moaning about the silver shadows are probably the ones that do the most phys. And its actually not just a few. Any good PTI worth his salt will encourage the lads to get a decent pair as soon as they can.
The constant road slapping impact of the silver shadow on the knee is detrimental.

AWOL_and_loving_it! said:
Can you believe the army are still making recruits wear this damaging footwear? They are largely responsible for causing tendon problems in my knee and quite frankly think they should be buried with a steak through them!!
I'm interested to know whether this would be to tenderise the meat of the aforementioned footwear?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shandy123 Weapons, Equipment & Rations 13
monkey_wench Health and Fitness 17
rick_rolled Army Pay, Claims & JPA 23