Silver Jimmy

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Shortstuff, Apr 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help, I have been asked to find a silver Jimmy for someone's presentation on completion of 22 yrs. The only place I have so far been able to locate one is the Museum shop at a cost of £450.00. I don't suppose anyone knows where I might be able to get one a little bit cheaper.

2. 'ello bud!

Over a long and distinguished career (kind of), i've found that a company called Ballantyne's of Walkerburn do some excellent stuff. I'm sure they would be able to help you out but obviously sumfin like this might have to be "especially struck", so time might not be on your side.

If they can't help you then i'm sure they will know somebody who might be able to.

Click here for their Web page
  3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It looks like they do one, but no price so you'll have to call them. Clickey.

4. AHA! Told ya! Hmmmm....

If i'm not mistaken.... that looks spookily like the one that appears in the museum itself! Interesting to know what the mark up is. Let us know what they charge ya bud!
  5. Buy a Bronze one, and wrap it in Tin Foil.

Job jobbed.
  6. hi what about getting a resin one done and having it silver plated this is how my polar bear presentation piece was done when i left the mess at my previous unit
  7. Which unit was that?
  8. The page for that silver jimmy states:

"this piece is available through the Royal Signals Museum, in Blandford, Dorset.

It features 'Mercury' the Roman God, as a winged messenger standing on Earth in silver plate. It is also available in bronze. The design stands 14" high."

The museum probably commissioned it therefore own the copyright. Looks like you might be stuffed with buying one direct.
  9. Lol, "Polar bear"!!!!!

What Unit was that then.... 1st Eskimo Rifles? 52nd Inuit Foot? Were you allowed to play with each others Ice holes?
  10. Nope....that would probably be 49 Inf Bde, they used to have Bde Signal Troop at York (as did 15 Inf Bde) consisting of WPI(W), RR and several FFR. Both disbanded in 1992(ish). We had 50 plaques made up for all the troop and any hangers on but my muppet ex-wife lost mine after we split.

49 Bde still exist and their emblem is still the polar bear..........

Eskimo and Inuit Troop would be a good idea tho..... :lol:
  11. And that ruinded a good wah oppurtunity.
  12. Bugger! sorry CF, I was bored at work and trawling through the site and failed to pick up on the wah potential. I really should stay more alert :oops: :D