Silva compass

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Negligent-Discharge, Nov 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

For some reason my trusty Silva has got a bubble in it... any clues? Any idea of how to get rid of it without nicking another from Chris the QM at **** *********, ******?

2. heat it up over a hexiblock till the bubble goes

3. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

You're havin a feckin laugh aren't you? What's the liquid in a Silva?

4. no if he was having a laugh he wouls say "do you know the one about the englishman, irishman......"

5. mate it works every time

hexiblock warms the liquid up making it whole again

6. http://www.uttings.com/?Categories/Navigation/Compasses/ExpertAdvice/compassinfo.html

Bubbles
    At altitude (above 500 to 1000 meters) bubbles may form in the fluid. The cause is a drop in atmospheric pressure and/or low temperature. This can occur in any compass. The bubble will disappear, when normal conditions return.
    Obviously, air can get into the fluid through crack damage in the capsule. A hairline crack damage in the surface of the capsule may not cause a leak to occur for weeks or even months. Such damage is not covered by warranty.
    It is not economically viable, to repair a cracked capsule, but it can be replaced by your SILVA dealer at much less then the the cost of a new compass.

7. That's how the Swiss army do it! Over, mind you, as opposed to on :-D

8. Put it on the floor and smack it with a lump hammer, gets rid of the bubble every time!

9. If you do not want to risk a naked flame, try putting it on a radiator. This also usually does the trick.

Q.

10. or in a saucepan with water

simmer

11. Agreed.....hammer is the solution to all problems.

12. msr

msr LE

Unless you have an electrical problem.

msr
    P.S. I successfully removed the bubble from my silva compass by microwaving it at hight power for a few minutes.

13. Will the same work for my spirit level?

14. Yes, may take 2 or 3 blows of the hammer though, due to the metal surround! :)

15. msr

msr LE

No, it's a different type of bubble.