Silva compass

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Negligent-Discharge, Nov 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

For some reason my trusty Silva has got a bubble in it... any clues? Any idea of how to get rid of it without nicking another from Chris the QM at **** *********, ******?
  2. heat it up over a hexiblock till the bubble goes
  3. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

You're havin a feckin laugh aren't you? What's the liquid in a Silva?
  4. no if he was having a laugh he wouls say "do you know the one about the englishman, irishman......"
  5. mate it works every time

hexiblock warms the liquid up making it whole again

At altitude (above 500 to 1000 meters) bubbles may form in the fluid. The cause is a drop in atmospheric pressure and/or low temperature. This can occur in any compass. The bubble will disappear, when normal conditions return.
    Obviously, air can get into the fluid through crack damage in the capsule. A hairline crack damage in the surface of the capsule may not cause a leak to occur for weeks or even months. Such damage is not covered by warranty.
    It is not economically viable, to repair a cracked capsule, but it can be replaced by your SILVA dealer at much less then the the cost of a new compass.
  7. That's how the Swiss army do it! Over, mind you, as opposed to on :-D
  8. Put it on the floor and smack it with a lump hammer, gets rid of the bubble every time!
  9. If you do not want to risk a naked flame, try putting it on a radiator. This also usually does the trick.

10. or in a saucepan with water

11. Agreed.....hammer is the solution to all problems.
  12. msr

msr LE

Unless you have an electrical problem.

P.S. I successfully removed the bubble from my silva compass by microwaving it at hight power for a few minutes.
  13. Will the same work for my spirit level?
  14. Yes, may take 2 or 3 blows of the hammer though, due to the metal surround! :)
  15. msr

msr LE

No, it's a different type of bubble.