• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Silly String - Booby Trap Detector

From New York:
Mothers are sending son's serving in Iraq, cans of silly string. Seems the septics use it before entering a room, the plastic stuff travels about 12 feet lands on hidden trip wires. The strands are so light they don't trigger the explosives. ......!!!

Well feck my old boots! Who'd a thought it?

Speckled_Jim said:
Didn't I see some infantry bods using this on some TV show in the 80s? Something like "Combat" or something? It's all a little hazy...
You are quite right, Sections from different units competing against each other on different stands. One being booby traps, where the silly string was used by a number of teams to find trip wires. :D

There was an article in "The Forces Favourite Newspaper" (TM) - The Sun - some time ago about how someone in the Brit army had worked out this as a way of defeating trip wires. Must be true then!

Here's the link:
Sun article

(Can't test the link at the moment as the Sun site appears to be down right now. Apologies if I've cocked up).

My neighbour ex-guards, said that they were using it in NI back in the 80's. Saved them sending home some of the guys in small polythene bags. A cracking idea.......

It was genius once, until the bad guys in NI started using sensitive switches to defeat it (widely available switches I add, and not anything overly gucchi!) ....... not somethin I would like to try!

Think about it,
if you suspect that there is a tripwire there, then don't go near it.
If the Sun is reporting this, then everyone knows. The most basic switch is the bare-wire loop. This can easily be made sensitive enough to function with silly string.
Don't go on the casrep - "Injured by Silly String"

Yankee_Charlie said:
Think about it,
if you suspect that there is a tripwire there, then don't go near it.
If the Sun is reporting this, then everyone knows. The most basic switch is the bare-wire loop. This can easily be made sensitive enough to function with silly string.
Don't go on the casrep - "Injured by Silly String"
Lol cos, that would be just plain...... silly!

Speckled_Jim said:
Didn't I see some infantry bods using this on some TV show in the 80s? Something like "Combat" or something? It's all a little hazy...
Dead on. The show with the late Emlyn Hughes & the arsey Anneka Rice.

I believe it was one cheeky chappie from the KOSB that used it. If I remember correctly, they finished as runners up to the Paras (because the Paras faced the Ghurkhas in the semis, not necessarily because the KOSB were better than the Johnnies).

Latest Threads