Silly Questions - D.I.Y. Double-Rifle: How does one license it?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by smiffy_the_ferret, Oct 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I understand it, if you order a spare gun barrel for a project, it occupies a "slot" of the relevant calibre on a S1 FAC cert.

Qn1: Is that right?

If one wanted to self-build a double rifle, You'd presuambly need 3x slots on an FAC:
    Slot 1 = Barrel Blank A
    Slot 2 = Barrel Blank B
    Slot 3 = The finished double-barreled gun once assembled and proofed.
    (Let's assume the person in question is a private individual doing a shed-project, rather than an RFD)

Qn2: What process do you have to go through when a barrel blank (or more than one) gets assembled with other non licensed parts into a complete Firearm?

Qn3: I've always fancied Harper's "Seven Barreled Volley Gun" off Sharpe.
    How many barrels of legal (non-pistol) length can you cobble together before the Plod tell you to stop taking the urine and slap a Sect-5 status on the project, as it's essentially a machine gun? I daresay it'd make a difference if it had a different trigger for every barrel, rather than one thet set them all off simutaneously!

2. A reproduction Nock volley carbine would not qualify as Section 5: "any firearm which is so designed or adapted that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger" in that the bullets do not leave it successively.

If you keep the barrels over 24 inches ( a real one having barrels of 20 inches) being smooth bore and "Either has no magazine or has a non-detachable magazine incapable of holding more than two cartridges" it isn't even Section 1.

3. Cool!

Mind you I had phrased Qn3 Badly - I was still thinking of a "modern" version of the volley gun, with rifled-barrels and being breech-loading with unitary cartriges.
    When does that get reined in?
    Does it need to have one-trigger per barrel?

4. Still only Section 1 but some constabulary staff don't even know what a drilling its and so good luck!

Only trigger on a Nock Volley Carbine because the barrels discharge simultaneously.

BTW, Henry Nock's company exists to this day but it is now called Wilkinson (Henry Nock's son-in-law) Sword.

5. Ah yes. But what confuses them generally is that there are two sho-gun barrels up top (s2) but a rifled barrel underneath (s1), so they don't know whether to put in on a SGC or an FAC (Or which box on a Co-terminous license, if they still exist). (Or at least that's what was explained to me once).

I'd just be working on one type of barrel; e.g. a double-barreled .416 for large game.
    Or a 12-barreled .22rf for sh*ts-n-giggles - It's all just a theroetical exercise to work out what's legal and what ain't if you do a bit of bodging in shed.

Back to my original question, really:

What is the administrative step to turn two seperate barrels into one gun on the FAC?

Indeed - flash holes beween the barrels, as I under stand it

6. Barrel blanks are not licensed items.

Making guns requires an RFD.

7. Aren't they? I thought it was the "presure-brearing parts" that required the FAC; meaning the chamber-cut breech end of a rifle barrel, and the cylinder on those long-barreled post-Dunblane revolvers.

Well, that's that project kyboshed then. Glad I checked!

8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Having built a rather large number of very very expensive double rifles over the years, I would strongly advise against attempting to bodge together a DIY job.

It will be shit.

9. Never said I was going to build something that'd put Purdey out of business!

10. Ravers

No seriously, double rifles are a nightmare to build whether you're building a mega expensive thing covered in gold or something built on an old Baikal side by side action.

Either way you want both barrels to shoot in pretty much the same place, achieving this will require some serious mathematics, highly expensive machinery and a hell of a lot of time and patience. Think (upto) 6 months of travelling to the range everyday, firing 2 shots and then driving back to the workshop to make minuscule adjustments.

Unless you have a range in your garden it may prove difficult.

Building a shotgun is a piece of piss in comparison.

11. Why not ask Pedersoli if their "Kodiak" double rifle is available in kit form, they offer kits for a wide range of guns. Here they sell finished rifles in 8x57 well as the shit kicking .50 and 45-70.

12. Ravers

Having said that, if you're serious about it, I'll gladly point you in the right direction regarding tube suppliers etc.

You'll save yourself a fair bit of time and hassle if you start out with decent raw materials.

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'm in the market for an express rifle for driven boar, I was thinking of a 9.3x75R Beretta Silver Sable or a Chapuis - both have 5-6cm convergence at 50mts for a 3k rifle - any views?

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I don't believe you have to be an RFD to build a rifle, just to carry on a business you do! Making one offs every few years isn't a business as neither is making something for your own use, it dies simplify things and makes it safer as the dealer has to abide by the proof laws but you can't sell yourself something so those laws don't apply!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

15. Ravers

We built two 9.3x74Rs which turned out pretty good, basically our 20bore shotgun with some bolsters on the side and third grip.

There should still be the parts (assembled but unregulated barrels + un-detonated actions) to build two more kicking around in the factory. We built them on the off chance that someone would want another. If you're serious about a nice small double, I could probably get the parts and you could find someone to build it for you. I know my replacement is trying to free up space in the factory and would probably sell the parts for cost value.

Anyway, I haven't a clue about the guns you mention, outside of the London scene my knowledge is pretty slim I'm afraid.