Silly Cow

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Cyclic, Apr 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Driving home last night in heavy traffic , dual carriageway , Im in the left lane , ahead the right lane is coned off , a stupid bint
    in the RH lane decides to change to the left lane as the cones approach and cuts across the front of me , scuffed my bumper (4x4) and dented her Ford Fiesta , she recons she had a right of way! surely not ?
  2. I'm rather confident the idea behind those lovely lines on the motorway is that anybody not within a certain lane has a requirement to give way to someone already in that lane. Consequently you can't just move into another lane then claim you had right of way over anybody else already in it.

I hope you kicked her in the ****.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Does the idea of the zipper technique not exist somewhere nice N warm?

They have made it a law over here that you must give way to the vehicle directly ahead of you when traffic has to merge, which would sort of give the silly cow some wiggle room in who has the right of way.
  4. Thats what i thought, crossing the white lines you had to give way to vehicles already in the lane you are about to enter. This is all i can find in the Highway Code...

Do not overtake unless you are sure it is safe and legal to do so. Overtake only on the right. You should

•check your mirrors
    •take time to judge the speeds correctly
    •make sure that the lane you will be joining is sufficiently clear ahead and behind
    •take a quick sideways glance into the blind spot area to verify the position of a vehicle that may have disappeared from your view in the mirror
    •remember that traffic may be coming up behind you very quickly. Check all your mirrors carefully. Look out for motorcyclists. When it is safe to do so, signal in plenty of time, then move out
    •ensure you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken
    •be especially careful at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance
  5. Zipper technique ? you mean open mine and do her?

She was not directly ahead , she came along the RH side and just cut across so fingers crossed .
  6. If she was in the faster stream of traffic which was then merging into the slower one at the point (or close to it) where the merge point was then even if she did cut you up the law says that you would both be partially liable for the accident and would pay the relevant percentage of any repair costs.

This is German law btw so probably not a lot of use wherever you are.
  7. As I wasnt there, it can only be a guess but I guess she is in the wrong. From your description she didnt indicate and abruptly cut in.

On the other hand, you may have been one of those chods deliberately closing the gap between you and the car in front of you to deny her entry into your lane. That would be dangerous driving on your part. The highway code does suggest alternate vehicles (ie zipper technique) in just such a situation. British drivers are, however, seemingly incapable of understanding and implementing it.
  8. There is no law here stating you have to allow them to merge and rightly so, especially on a motorway. I've no issue with merging vehicles as long as they signal their intention and do it politely. If I am using a lane to rightfully filter I will drive past people at a reasonable speed and slow down and indicate. I find people are far more willing to let people merge than if you just barrel up to them at five million miles an hour, slam on the brakes and try stick the nose of your car into the queue. Most people tend to **** you off then, and I cannot blame them.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. German law tends to lean towards everything is the fault of the person who didn't bloody do anything.
  10. Pompey UK at the moment.
  11. Serves you right then :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. From the highway code

"Lane discipline
    If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed."

It is quite clear that there is no automatic right to merge in turn (Zipper) and that responsibility for safely moving into your lane rests with the other driver. Her only recourse is therefore to accuse you of what I said earlier - deliberately closing the gap.
  13. However even if that was the case she had no right of way and should have slowed down. Just like when you enter a motorway, if there is no clear gap you have to wait until there is.
  14. It's my opinion that a motorway is absolutely no place to be merging at the last second if vehicles are travelling at speed. If traffic is going at the same speed as usual you should ******* well pull over with plenty of time rather than just hoping you can zip in before you take out a row of cones. If traffic is backed up and moving slowly then you can by all means move to the end to merge, but you still have no right of way and have to wait for a gap or for someone to leave you one and allow you to merge.

I use a filter lane coming from home all the time and merge towards the top of the road as I feel it's pointless sitting 600 metres back down the road when there is a lane specifically for that purpose, but like I said earlier I come up the side of traffic slowly and indicate my intentions, people generally allow me in if I don't act like a cock.
  15. I bet you (the OP) saw her coming, thought "Fk You" and matched her speed...leaving her no option but to select one of two options.

A - Speed up and tuck in
    B - Slow down and tuck in

Either way, you were aware of her being there but decided to add to the situation. I take it you were determined not to use your brakes; it would have been the sensible option as you now have a damaged car.