Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Silliest military related questions from civvies ever...

My Company was voluntold to do Edinburgh Castle Guard. Our resident Jnco joker known as Bob would wind up the Japanese tourists endlessly. Allegedly when asked what the writing in the stone arch above a gate said replied "mind your head" It was something in PW I was told.

My Company was voluntold to do Edinburgh Castle Guard. Our resident Jnco joker known as Bob would wind up the Japanese tourists endlessly. Allegedly when asked what the writing in the stone arch above a gate said replied "mind your head" It was something in PW I was told.

That one has done the rounds for decades.

This should be in the How Bone is Your Missus thread.
Might have been bone if she'd smashed her own camera.

On a slight tangent, me and a mate spent more than a few weeks living in the NAAFI quarters, which were out of bounds to all but NAAFI staff. We thought it was a secret but everybody, including all those on guard at the main gate knew about it.

We used to walk out to our waiting back-to-ship taxi at about half six in every morning, looking neither to the right nor left as if it was a completely normal thing to do, amazed that no-one pulled us or ever asked any questions.

It was months before we were told that everybody knew and nobody cared.

That's actually a fair question and I asked the same myself as an SPSI because they did **** all and were a bag of shit.

I always assumed (I know, I know) that the SPSI were responsible for admin, training, helping the RSM on discipline, bringing Regular Army knowledge to the table and helping to improve the ethos of the unit they were attached to.

My bad.

I always assumed (I know, I know) that the SPSI were responsible for admin, training, helping the RSM on discipline, bringing Regular Army knowledge to the table and helping to improve the ethos of the unit they were attached to.

My bad.

As a SPSI you can attempt all of the above if the TA element are willing to embrace it.

However, from my experience, when you ask a TA female WO2 why she permitted the troops she was taking on parade to call her "Sir!" when affirming their names, and she replies"because they've always done it that way", then good luck.

It wasn't all bad though, I particularly liked being saluted by the TA when I was a WO2*.

* I was one of their WO2s at the time (regular RQMS at their unit).