Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Silliest military related questions from civvies ever...

Most annoying question when you turned up at home on leave.
Parents, "hello, when are you going back"? That's before I shut the front door!
Mates, "hello, your round, when are you going back then"?
I took the hint, when I left I left the area and moved to London to join the police! Bastards the lot of them.

What do you if you step on a mine?

I've lost count of the amount of times I've been asked that!

Luckily, I have a visual aid to assist in the reply

Can't access the link (blocked by the IT Fun Police), but is the correct procedure to jump 500 feet into the air and spread yourself over a wide area?

Back in the 90's my old man went for a job after doing 30+ years. He was asked: "How do you feel about paying tax?" His reply: "We all have to do it". The interviewer said "Well you haven't have you?" to which the old man explained yes people in the military do indeed pay full UK taxes.

Another question was "How will you cope not having to march to work?"

The interviewer was with Norfolk Plod for doing rosters, I believe for a single nick - may have been more. My Dad found it ironic that this was a secondary or additional duty during his service, and they would pay for it. He was less amused by them genuinely thinking all military don't pay taxes - you would have thought they knew better.
Military don't pay tax. They just give tax, earned by other people, back to the treasury.

From a different perspective:

What's it like on a submarine?
Are there any windows?
How long are you away/underwater? (Usually followed by 'HOW LONG?')
Don't you get sick from the radiation?
How deep do you go?

And patiently telling them the difference between nuclear power and nuclear weapons.......

Last edited: