• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Silliest military related questions from civvies ever...

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Yep. Had an old mucka who told me that when he informed a female colleague who worked on the same factory production line as him, that he was leaving to join the Coldstream Guards, asked if they were the soldiers that stood outside Buckingham Palace, he said they were. When he finally convinced her that the Brigade of Guards and therefore the Coldstream Guards were 'real soldiers' and not just there for show, she then commented on how hot they must get 'running around the woods (because that's what real soldiers do) with those big furry hats on'.

Busby??

Disappointing response so far, you slackers ....

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
In all honesty, I don't remember ever being asked a silly question about being a part time Sapper. But that's probably because nobody even knew. It was just another job to me, and I didn't assume anyone would be interested.

Bum tits fannyfarts etc.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not a silly question but, I was in Edinburgh about five years ago, and as I walked toward the Castle gate I asked a young girl of about 15 or so, "Who is the resident battalion at the castle?" Quick as a flash she replied "I think you'll find that it's the 42nd."

I liked that!

Not a silly question but, I was in Edinburgh about five years ago, and as I walked toward the Castle gate I asked a young girl of about 15 or so, "Who is the resident battalion at the castle?" Quick as a flash she replied "I think you'll find that it's the 42nd."

I liked that!
More impressive would be “Och aye, ‘tis the Forty Twa”

I've never trained/ spent time in real life with Brit mil so have no clue. Assumed it was some sort of a running gag, but just wanted to be sure.
Despite Badger's Heed's denial I have personally been told "One man, one breakfast" and one breakfast consisted of, one sausage, one egg, one rasher of bacon. I do not remember ever having to count the beans though.

Millionaires weekend in a RA camp in London. Ex REME is guard commander. Two female, never worked single parents, are demanding access to camp. I heard the shouting and went to investigate. The two delightful ladies stated they the paid my wages.......classsic

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Despite Badger's Heed's denial I have personally been told "One man, one breakfast" and one breakfast consisted of, one sausage, one egg, one rasher of bacon. I do not remember ever having to count the beans though.

Poor drills. Get it down you quick enough, then go back for seconds. Surely that was catered for?

I liked that!
Why would you be approaching random 15 year old girls and asking them questions?

Poor drills. Get it down you quick enough, then go back for seconds. Surely that was catered for?
The problem with being TA is the cook almost always knew you so you could chance it but it was extra washing up if caught. I think the other issue was they had 900 sausages to provide 2 breakfasts for 450 men over a weekend camp so rather like eating all the sweeties in the rat packs for a weeks exercise on day one, it paid to spread things out.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Why would you be approaching random 15 year old girls and asking them questions?
She was having a cigarette outside an ice cream wagon that she was working in, there was a group of us, one a female so I felt safe! and that I would not perhaps offend the more gentle and innocent uncouth types on here!

Why is this thread in the ARRSE Hole?

Latest Threads