• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Silliest military related questions from civvies ever...

My good lady wife was a NAAFI lady. Joined thinking she'd be working with her Army brothers but got sent to HMS Collingwood, where she met yours truly on her first night.

Shortly after, while in a pub in Gosport, she overheard a similar slagging and offered to fight the whole pub.

She was so angry that there were no takers that she went outside and threw her mate's camera on the ground, breaking it to pieces.
Female NAAFI workers are slags.

And fucking gopping.

I worked for Scottish Equitable many years ago when I was a baby stab.

An application form came in, for a bloke who was in the TA.

"Oooooh, this bloke's in the TAs. Do you know him?"
I explained there where tens of fahsands in the TA but just in case, what was his name?

"Name given"

"Oh, thats my Company Commander..."
So did he get hired?

By far the silliest/dumbest thing anyone ever me asked was: Aren’t you afraid if you put your furry hat down (it was a feather bonnet) that an animal will try to mate with it or kill it? I remember her quite well, it was after a parade and she was one of those grans carrying more shopping than she likely weighed....

Surely the one that was most often asked by tourists in Edinburgh of the sentries was "Is anything worn under the kilt?" , to which the reply was "No, its all in perfect working order!"

Noduff
A mate of mine just left the RM and has been applying for jobs. First question on interview:
“Have you got PTSD”
“Do you ask everyone that question?”
“No, of course not”

Unsurprisingly he didn’t get (or want) the job.

I know a Guardsman who was asked if his head went all the way to the top of his busby.
Yep. Had an old mucka who told me that when he informed a female colleague who worked on the same factory production line as him, that he was leaving to join the Coldstream Guards, asked if they were the soldiers that stood outside Buckingham Palace, he said they were. When he finally convinced her that the Brigade of Guards and therefore the Coldstream Guards were 'real soldiers' and not just there for show, she then commented on how hot they must get 'running around the woods (because that's what real soldiers do) with those big furry hats on'.

While alongside when out and about on the RCL's from 17 P&M:

Is that a replica from WW2?

And my favourite. - Whats does the A R M Y on the side stand for?
Just reminded me. Over from 8 Bde, doing Adventure training, in Aviemore brought one of our 4 tonners with the confidential telephone number painted on the side. Civvie, if it's confidential why is it painted on the side?

"Are you in the Army?"

I was standing on gate guard, in full combats, regimental headdress, webbing, weapon and right beside the board with the regimental crest.

"No, mate. I'm just delivering a parcel."

Surely the one that was most often asked by tourists in Edinburgh of the sentries was "Is anything worn under the kilt?" , to which the reply was "No, its all in perfect working order!"
A question like that could also lead to an interesting evening as well.....

Not quite so far back. There were a fair few borstal boys and youth offenders in army Boys Service, up until the mid 70s, who had been offered that.
Yeah, Willie Whitelaw’s “Short Sharp Shock” initiative. My old section commander went through that- he ended up as one of the most respected soldiers in the regiment and in the officers’ mess. So it worked for him.

When I was teaching, students asked:
"Did you ever kill anyone?"

"Not yet"

Noduff
A mate of mine just left the RM and has been applying for jobs. First question on interview:
“Have you got PTSD”
“Do you ask everyone that question?”
“No, of course not”

Unsurprisingly he didn’t get (or want) the job.
PTSD related stuff seems quite common.Its as if they think going on ops turns us all into drooling idiots.When I went back to work after Iraq,the cleaner(yes,really)asked how I was coping with being traumatised by my experiences.

Latest Threads