Silliest military related questions from civvies ever...

This ones half question/ half statement.

I was explaining about doing opfor and that it involved the wearing of German uniform items.

The reply was:
Those are the grey ones aren't they?

I'm not that old!!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
This ones half question/ half statement.

I was explaining about doing opfor and that it involved the wearing of German uniform items.

The reply was:
Those are the grey ones aren't they?

I'm not that old!!

But they're really smart, Mr Mainwaring.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
"Aren't you worried about that gun going off"
From an American sea passenger on Prince of Wales pier, Aden.
"No ma'am, it's perfectly fresh."

Seems like most of us have been asked did you kill / how many did you kill?

What was your best answer?
I told them I shot 3 or 4 people - the first was a woman...

They shut up after that.

I didn't tell them that I was only using plastic bullets and a riot gun though :)

Well this tale relates to my daughter who when she was about 7 years old decided she wanted to join the Army .... not the British Army but the American Army because their girls had guns .... there followed a short discussion and off she went to return a few moments later with the question " Daaaad ... if I do join the American Army how will I get back home to go to bed each night ? " .... I think that fits in with the level of this thread .

Last edited:
Seems like most of us have been asked did you kill / how many did you kill?

What was your best answer?
"Counting prostitutes and runaways?"

I recall an account from a US Infantry unit in WW2 when confronted by members of the Hitler Youth. The enemy, despite being offered the chance to surrender at an early stage, fought furiously, without mercy, causing many casualties. They delayed the advance for hours, but on expending all ammunition they would come out with hands raised, shouting 'Kammeraden'.
After two days of this, the CO ordered the surrendering Hitler Youth troops to be shot out of hand, and this brought about a distinct change in attitude from the enemy they encountered in the future, inasmuch as they were far more inclined to throw the towel in when first offered the chance.
And the silly military related question from a civvy?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
And the silly military related question from a civvy?
"Was the Septic CO aware of Article 23 of the 1907 IV Hague Convention, "The Laws and Customs of War on Land" ?

I was asked once if it was true the women working in the NAAFI were all slags.
I said 'Dunno I've only shagged one and she was'.
My good lady wife was a NAAFI lady. Joined thinking she'd be working with her Army brothers but got sent to HMS Collingwood, where she met yours truly on her first night.

Shortly after, while in a pub in Gosport, she overheard a similar slagging and offered to fight the whole pub.

She was so angry that there were no takers that she went outside and threw her mate's camera on the ground, breaking it to pieces.

From a crow, during an SAA lesson:

"Corporal, would that rifle kill a whale?"

That is why I never say there is no such thing as a stupid question.

I worked for Scottish Equitable many years ago when I was a baby stab.

An application form came in, for a bloke who was in the TA.

"Oooooh, this bloke's in the TAs. Do you know him?"
I explained there where tens of fahsands in the TA but just in case, what was his name?

"Name given"

"Oh, thats my Company Commander..."

Latest Threads