Silliest Journalist award!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sekundra, Apr 11, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This was emailed to me....

......a piece about some of the ridiculous questions foreign reporters have been asking Brigadier General Vincent Brooks at the daily CENTCOM briefings.

On April 3, an Al Jazeera correspondent asked Brooks:

"We've heard various reports throughout the day about coalition forces being about 10 to 20 kilometers on the outskirts of Baghdad, close to Saddam International Airport. Can you clarify that matter for us? And I'm sure you're aware, sir, that the Iraqis contest your attestation that you've inflicted heavy damage on the Republican Guards in the past few days. I was wondering if and when you can show us videos, combat footage of that, proof of that?"

Because, you know, the Iraqi press operation has proved incredibly reliable in recent days. But that was just a warm-up. The question of the day--nay, the question of the millennium--came from a reporter from a Hong Kong TV network:

"If the plan to take down Baghdad didn't succeed and the coalition would have to retreat, and without giving a detailed description of the location, where would the coalition troops retreat to, since most of the cities around Baghdad are only partially secured, not completely taken by U.S.-led force? Thank you."

This one get's my vote! Only sad I didn't see this last week..
    :(

;D ;D

2. I reckon Robert Fisk has to be up there, he is such a mong, it's incredible. Today's Independent is just devoted to how bad things are in Iraq now that that good solid chap Saddam has gone.

A guy on the radio this morning quoted Fisk as saying that every foot of Bagdad would have to be paid for in the blood of USMC, and that the the people of the city were 100% behind Saddon.

What a clown!

3. The BBC's DG Greg D. in the US -  "I was in New York and Boston and it was remarkable how many people told me they were following the war on the BBC because they preferred our impartiality to the gung-ho coverage on their own networks."

Audiences and commentators are generally responding favourably to BBC news coverage which they can receive in the US via BBC America, BBC World and the World Service.

Here are a few reactions:

Reese Schonfeld, co-founder of CNN: 'I find myself watching BBC all the time. They are the only people who on a regular basis organise their material well enough so you get a feeling you know what's going on.'

Bill Young, Vice-President programming, Channel 2: 'Ratings have jumped since the channel went virtually full time to BBC World coverage.'

Ntasha Kaplinsky, Presenter Breakfast: 'We've had a lot of response from women in America who really like Breakfast for being sober and unsensational.'

Noel Holsten, writing for Newsday, says BBC World News is 'a gift to the clarity-seeking viewer .... being largely free of the visual clutter and self-serving hype that afflict all our other tv sources of news.'

Not so bad then I'd say ?

Edited because the software won't allow his surname in full  ::)