Silk underwear for US soldiers

Discussion in 'US' started by DavidBOC, Aug 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

kevlar would smell and probably rot out with sweat like polyprop undies. silk is supposed to be cleaner and easier to remove from wounds as recommended in all napoleonic warfare tales of daring do.

we have tine silver threads in ours for antibacterial use and the yanks were mighty impressed with the idea so maybe they copied us for a change.
  2. Actually silk shirts were a Mongolian thing - made it easier to pull out arrows apparently. But eminently sensible for the US army. Really lightweight, strong, breathable, cool and doesn't honk like man made fibres if you've been wearing it for days.
  3. I believe the Mongolians got the idea from the Chinese (although I may be wrong there). The Japanese also used silk as armour.
  4. Didn't the Chinese use cunningly-folded card as anti-arrow armour at one point?
  5. According to a very reliable historical source (TV miniseries ANZACs) body lice can't live in silk? Is that true?
  6. And does anyone know of a decent source of the stuff? For purchase, not from Japanese vending machines or stealing from clotheslines.
  7. I remember seeing something on the History channel about officers in the American civil war wearing silk shirts as this stopped lice.
    Something about lice laying eggs in rough clothing and silk was smooth, so the lice could not lay eggs in it or I may have it wrong.
  8. Vietnam - it's as cheap as chips there.