Silica Gel Granules

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by CptDanjou, Jul 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I get small silica gel packs via goods in crates I import for my business , I always throw a few in the gun cabinet with a view to keeping out moisture , was wondering if I can I re use silica gel after it has become exposed to moisture, does it need to be dried out? will putting it on a radiator dry it out so as to re use it ?

Was also wondering if it`s any use throwing a few packs inside wet / damp boots ? I walk in the sticks a lot in Matterhorns which are a great boot but I`ve never been able to get them dry this year!.

2. If you put them in the oven (on a tray/foil) for a few hours it will regenerate them. I forget the exact temperature but it's about 110 degrees C I think.

3. A bit off topic, but I would love to see what happens if they are microwaved.

4. Helps with boots, I used to put them in my wellies and boots when I lived rural and wellies were kept outside. (missus was a clean freak)

Tray on oven, just above 100oC for about an hour to dry them out

5. Yup, warm oven or top of radiator.

I keep them in my camera bag to stop my lenses fogging up or growing mildew. Not sure they'd have the capacity to dry out wet boots. Let us know how you get on with them.

My GF keeps a sachet in the biscuit tin to stop the hob nobs going soft.

6. In my place, they wouldn't have time to go soft, especially if they are chocolate ones.

For some reason that just doesn't sound right.

7. Get all different sizes, a 250g bag will sort out a wet boot no problem if left in the airing cupboard

8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they sell boot drying balls which are just gel in a bag, the gel will dry out if left alone which is why they put it in plant pots. sticking gel sachets in the airing cupboards or on the radiator would dry them out.

fill your boots with sand, cat litter, rice or sugar for a similar absorbtion effect :)

I tend to just use newspaper if they are that bad or a few mins with a hair dryer on low dropped inside the boot.

9. Best thing to dry your wet boots is cat litter.
    Just fill them up and leave in a warm area overnight.
    Works every time for me.

10. Good to hear that they can be re-used!

I keep all the bags I get with deliveries etc. and use them mostly in plastic storage boxes, notably though I also have one in my rifle case and fishing boxes.

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

just a thought but have you tried antiperspirant on your feet instead?

menthol foot powder or vapour rub works like that and keep your feet soft warm and tingly in winter.

12. No one ever explains anything correctly ,do I use new or used cat litter?

• Like Like x 1