Sikorsky X-2 flying - impressive

Fair point, well made.

MOD! Please...

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
VIDEOS: Sikorsky races X2, then unveils S-97 scout helo - The DEW Line

Raider concept looks great, I'd put more money on this over the V22 style any day. It's worth watching the bottom clip all the way through to watch the 210Kts flypast. Great bit of kit anyway, i'd guess that the in service date being a bit far off though...
An excellent concept that grew out of the Advancing Blade Studies done with this superb Aircraft the S-69 (Sikorsky S-69 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), the concept is not new though we had one way back in the 1950s the Fairey Rotodyne (Fairey Rotodyne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) another British concept sunk by money and politics, check out the vids on Youtube.

The Skyraider, which is the military AH version, will be testing in 2014 or so I hear, and is slated to be a the future of AH with the USMC, because it can keep up with Osprey.

Going Back to the S-69, and to repeat myself as I mentioned this previously, I think there is merit in resurrecting the concept. With a few mods of course.

The coaxail rotor concept removes the need for the tail-rotor which is possibly the most vulnerable part of a helo, moreover removing the tail rotor means its smaller, occupying less space on a carrier deck for example.

Adding jets like in the S-69, make sense too, as the enclosed jets are less vulnerable to SA or munitions strike than the prop.

I'm sure BAe/westland could come up with similar powered by Adour or even Pegasus, as a thrust vectoring would enable greater lift off and landing weight.

Since discovering this concept, for shits and giggles, I've been doing sketches of possible concepts of such a craft. I'm no aerospace engineer or designer, it's just been for my own amusement. If I find a scanner I may upload them one day.

Eurocopter have been doing something similar to Rotadyne: the X-3

Have you been reading ThinkDefence again?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/royal-air-force/151011-astor-%A35bn-white-elephant.html

What is the drama with the V-22? I had a few flights in them in Afghan, and didn't see a prob. It flys fast, has VTOL and can undsling...
Reliabiltiy issues, though these seem to be finally being sorted, large wing area (takes up space) engine desgine seem to be more vulnerable IMHO, also costs a fortune. I do believe it has a igher cieling than the S-69 though.

S-69's ( Sikorsky S-69 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )co-axial set up is less vulnerable, concentrated above the aircraft small space, no large tail, co-axial rotor sysytem also takes up less ground space than the Osprey wing, having a more compact frame all round. It's also faster.

The concept behind her is not new, we were leading with similar tech way back in the 5s with Rotodyne Fairey Rotodyne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (which only learned about the other day after someone linked to thinkdefence*)though prop driven rather than jet driven - however the concept has been resurrected by Sikorsky with it's X-2, which is slated to be a contender for a new attack helo that could accompany V-22, and Eurocopter with it's X3, though both the X-3 and rotdyne had significant extra wing area too and are prp rather than turbo jet driven as S-69

S-69 as a concept seems, to me at least, to have all the benefits of V-22, but with increased redundencies and safety built in especialy regards propulsion. I wonder sometimes why the concept was dropped and never resurrected.

* It never ceases to amaze me how ahead of the curve British Engineers have been in the last century, hamstrung by politics and pitiful budgets so many world beaters never got the chance to make it through.

edited to add: missed the post above mine whilst typing this out, consider the above too.

Point 2 of my addendum, could someone better informed than I explain why the concepts behind S-69 could not be further developed or indeed were not, and abandoned following the end of the Advancing Blade Project. It seems to infer the possibilty of having a more reliable cab than Osprey with more capability but in a cab somewhat smaller.

I read many things that included. I did get that from Think Defence really.

thinkdefence is on the ball for equipment debates, gets scary when you see how many times you've commented. However back to the thread, to query rampant, i was under the impression that the fairey was a different system ie the main rotor wasn't powered in flight only for hover and take off/landing. no motor means no turning force on the frame therefore no counteracting tail rotor. co-axial blades obviously go in opposite directions to cancel it but are powered at all times. Not having a pop mind just disscussing

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Good excuse as any to post the video, yep they were used for transitional horizontal flight.

[video=youtube;y9633v6U0wo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9633v6U0wo[/video]

Deleted everything I said previous 'cos I was talking absolute bolleaux

A development of the earlier Gyrodyne which had established a world helicopter speed record, the Rotodyne featured a tip-jet-powered rotor that burned a mixture of fuel and compressed air bled from two wing-mounted Napier Eland turboprops. The rotor was driven for vertical takeoffs, landings and hovering, and low-speed translational flight, and autorotated during cruise flight with all engine power applied to two propellers.

Good excuse as any to post the video, yep they were used for transitional horizontal flight.

[video=youtube;y9633v6U0wo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9633v6U0wo[/video]

Deleted everything I said previous 'cos I was talking absolute bolleaux
Heh, my Grandfather used to help build those. Back when we had an aviation industry that does other than build wings and kits.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Saw the Rotodyne at Farnbrough mid 50s.

Latest Threads