Sikorsky X-2 flying - impressive

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Yeoman_dai, Oct 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wouldn't this be better in the...AVIATION forum?

2. Fair point, well made.

MOD! Please...

3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

An excellent concept that grew out of the Advancing Blade Studies done with this superb Aircraft the S-69 (Sikorsky S-69 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), the concept is not new though we had one way back in the 1950s the Fairey Rotodyne (Fairey Rotodyne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) another British concept sunk by money and politics, check out the vids on Youtube.

The Skyraider, which is the military AH version, will be testing in 2014 or so I hear, and is slated to be a the future of AH with the USMC, because it can keep up with Osprey.

Going Back to the S-69, and to repeat myself as I mentioned this previously, I think there is merit in resurrecting the concept. With a few mods of course.

The coaxail rotor concept removes the need for the tail-rotor which is possibly the most vulnerable part of a helo, moreover removing the tail rotor means its smaller, occupying less space on a carrier deck for example.

Adding jets like in the S-69, make sense too, as the enclosed jets are less vulnerable to SA or munitions strike than the prop.

I'm sure BAe/westland could come up with similar powered by Adour or even Pegasus, as a thrust vectoring would enable greater lift off and landing weight.

Since discovering this concept, for shits and giggles, I've been doing sketches of possible concepts of such a craft. I'm no aerospace engineer or designer, it's just been for my own amusement. If I find a scanner I may upload them one day.

Eurocopter have been doing something similar to Rotadyne: the X-3

Have you been reading ThinkDefence again?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/royal-air-force/151011-astor-%A35bn-white-elephant.html

4. I read many things that included. I did get that from Think Defence really.

5. rampant

I think it's brilliant, but hey whadda I know. Good post btw.

6. thinkdefence is on the ball for equipment debates, gets scary when you see how many times you've commented. However back to the thread, to query rampant, i was under the impression that the fairey was a different system ie the main rotor wasn't powered in flight only for hover and take off/landing. no motor means no turning force on the frame therefore no counteracting tail rotor. co-axial blades obviously go in opposite directions to cancel it but are powered at all times. Not having a pop mind just disscussing

7. rampant

Good excuse as any to post the video, yep they were used for transitional horizontal flight.

Deleted everything I said previous 'cos I was talking absolute bolleaux

8. Heh, my Grandfather used to help build those. Back when we had an aviation industry that does other than build wings and kits.

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Saw the Rotodyne at Farnbrough mid 50s.