Sikorsky Raider X cleared for prototype for FARA

So the recent competitor to be approved for the Future Attack Recon Aircraft is Sikorsky Raider X which is cleared for prototype construction with Bell and Boeing.

Like this afternoon telly it’s a case of May The Best Man Win lol Dress to Impress with the three lads wooing the lass if they pick the right outfits for her, two will foxtrot Oscar and the best suitor will win,

Advancing the Next Generation of Army Aviation: FARA Enters Prototype Phase

cheers

Are the weapons supposed to fold away for stealth purposes? But the things got 3 huge whirly bladey things, so that can't be right surely?

endure

GCM
Don't the Ruskis have a helicopter with 2 rotor things?

Yep, the Kamov K-50 "Black Shark".

Two rotors like that mean a tail rotor isn't needed.
Yeah, the contra-rotating main rotors work to counter each others effects and make a tail rotor unnecessary.

However, the tail rotor on the Raider X, it would appear to be a pusher of some variety to make the brute faster.

Are the weapons supposed to fold away for stealth purposes? But the things got 3 huge whirly bladey things, so that can't be right surely?
More likely for drag reduction.
Although it probably helps with signature management since “stealth” is not a binary condition
Yeah, the contra-rotating main rotors work to counter each others effects and make a tail rotor unnecessary.

However, the tail rotor on the Raider X, it would appear to be a pusher of some variety to make the brute faster.
Contra-rotating rotors also work to mitigate retreating blade stall so you can go faster without falling out of the air.
The pusher prop allows the Raider to go faster by providing thrust which does not originate from the main rotor. This means that it can keep a level pitch and therefore suffers less drag. It can also do fun tricks using the pusher prop to counteract forward or aft thrust from the main rotor so it can fly backwards while pitched forwards.

Although it probably helps with signature management since “stealth” is not a binary condition

Contra-rotating rotors also work to mitigate retreating blade stall so you can go faster without falling out of the air.
The pusher prop allows the Raider to go faster by providing thrust which does not originate from the main rotor. This means that it can keep a level pitch and therefore suffers less drag. It can also do fun tricks using the pusher prop to counteract forward or aft thrust from the main rotor so it can fly backwards while pitched forwards.
Will the pusher prop be rpg proof ….

Will the pusher prop be rpg proof ….
I would imagine it’s every bit as RPG-proof as any other part of the helicopter. The plus side is that the absence of the pusher prop will not compromise the ability of the helicopter to remain in the air.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I don’t really get it. They cancelled the Comanche programme on cost grounds and started up a new one? How much time and money were wasted on that?

In the video there is mention of "level body acceleration", plus a top speed of 150+kts. Not bad for a fling wing device.

I don’t really get it. They cancelled the Comanche programme on cost grounds and started up a new one? How much time and money were wasted on that?
Also the money was needed urgently to modify , sustain AH-64D, UH-60A/L, CH-47D, Nell OH-58D assets in Enduring And Iraqi Freedom.

The original plan in 2000 was formation of Multi Function Battalion which would read something like this..

10 x AH-64A/D (Or was it x 20)
10 x RAH-66 Comanche
10 x UH-60A/L
10 x CH-47D

Cheers

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Welcome to the Military Industrial Complex, my son. Tin foil hats are available from the secret storage location

I was actually thinking of the AH-56 Cheyenne, but yes the Comanche does look similar as well... its like they keep trotting out the same idea hoping at some point it'll catch.

I was actually thinking of the AH-56 Cheyenne, but yes the Comanche does look similar as well... its like they keep trotting out the same idea hoping at some point it'll catch.
Story of industrial development, isn’t it? I remember a quote something along the lines of ”it takes a least three attempts to get a new technology right. The market will bear, at most, two.”

Commanche - Just another helicopter

Tilt Rotor/X2 - game changing shift of technology.

Story of industrial development, isn’t it? I remember a quote something along the lines of ”it takes a least three attempts to get a new technology right. The market will bear, at most, two.”
There's some tanks that are legendary for just not dying. Its like a bad horror movie, every couple of years, guess whose back. Then the US army rejects it, as not filling the concept, then they ask for something along the same veins, and guess what resurfaces.
Its called the M8 Bulford.

Latest Threads