Sikhs?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by IntellectualThug, Apr 26, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend of mine (regular in a teeth arms regt) tells me they've just had a Sikh lad join. As I went to school with a few Sikhs, I got wondering as to how many Sikhs there are in the Army (Reg and TA).

Any ideas? Any Sikhs in your own units?

2. Better on our side than t'other I think....they were the mainstay of the British-Indian army (them and the gurkhas and pathans) because when the Mutiny came - they didn't.

3. Didn't Prince Charles back the formation a Sikh regt (in the British Army) a couple of years back?

4. http://www.sikhreview.org/september2001/diaspora.htm

5. yeh, interesting stuff. a friend of a friend - a sikh regular officer - says he's against the idea of a separate sikh regt.

i've heard of a sikh guy in the signals, and also that guy who was in the Blues n Royals a while ago but got chucked out cos he and his white mates had some drug in their system after a night out on the piss.

anyone heard of other sikhs currently serving? i'm interested as to how they get on with NBC stuff and their beards.

6. 1 Prince of Wales' Sikhs (Leicestershire & Punjab)?

7. Sikhs are warriors. They were the top regiments in the Imperial Indian Army. Sadly they are few and far between in our Army - mostly I suspect because their parents feel that being a soldier does not live up to their expectations.

I know of one Sikh in the 1980s who whilst serving with the Queen's Regt was awarded the Military Medal for his actions after an IRA ambush in Londonderry - not many of them awarded to 'green' troops out there.

8. percy,

what was the story about that ambush?

your point about career choices is noted, but i think that it's becoming more respectable in their eyes now.

9. It wasn't an ambush in Londonderry but a major public-order disturbance in West Belfast in about 1988. The NCO in question was commanding a section of troops and had 9 contacts in one night. Things got too hairy for RUC who left the Queens' Section to man a postion consisting of vehicles strung across a road. Every so often a gunman would appear from a crowd about 250m away and shoot at the troops. Cpl X gave a description of the gunman to his troops and they watched for him.......Next time crowd parted Cpl X shouts "Watch my Tracer" and engages gunman, whole section fires hitting terrorist several times.....section dry F&Ms up street but crowd take mortally wounded terrorist away.

The Cpl in question was my Skill-at-Arms CSgt at RMAS and told the story to us wide-eyed OCdts (Week 3 or 4) instead of teaching us LSW Lesson 3!

10. Lets face it the Indian Army aint exactly shy of recruiting Sikhs and they dont get light duties in Kashmir.

The Empire has used them in the past and as mentioned above, they are a Martial, disciplined people.

Top idea, in my opinion.

11. fightin_irish,

outstanding story. so this was a sikh Cpl with turban and beard etc?

top shooting that.

12. I went through Grantham with a Sikh medical officer - famous in his part of the world for giving two thieving charvers a good slapping when he caught them in his garden. Excellent man and he would have made a great infantry officer.

13. Believe the Air Force allows Sikhs to wear appropriately-coloured (sky blue) issue turbans if they wish, and keep a beard. Nice bit of flexibility to aid recruitment and retention.

14. So does the army. I remember some Sikhs in WFR wearing a grey turban with the green patch and regimental badge, one of them used a scrim net instead of a turban on ex. Sky blue ?? surely that'd make them want to leave??

15. There are at least 3 REME sikhs that I know of:

There's a Lt Col who's big in Army Gliding (I flew with him at Upavon) he's in this month's CRAFTSMAN magazine.

There was/is a Lt at 1 Bn REME he deployed on TELIC with 3 Bn REME. He was 2 years through a pharmacy degree when he decided to join the Army. He's a pukka chap, comes from Wembley and lived next door to the Kumars.

There was also Greg Singh, now out, but left as a WO1 (ASM).

Sikhs like most religons have their fundametalists and the those religious in UNICOM print only. Greg singh didn't have a beard nor did the Lt. The Lt Col wears a full beard and turban.

On NBC training they vaseline the beard to get a seal round the respirator. On Ops they shave, the priests/imams/rabbis/gurus of the religion have said it's OK to shave for chemical warfare. The fundamental tenets of the sikh religon (the 5K - knife, baggy pants, beard, turban, bangle) are to do with being warriors, so they don't see there being a problem with the shaving thing.