Sikhs in the Int Corps??

Hi all, I recently went through my selection process and have been offered a job in the Int Corps. I start my Phase 1 in late november at Winchester. During my interview the interviewing officer told me that I would be the first sikh to join the Int Corps in it's history. He said that he checked through the records and couldn't find anything to suggest otherwise, i wonder if anyone knows anything different? Thanks all.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
sandhujatt said:
Hi all, I recently went through my selection process and have been offered a job in the Int Corps. I start my Phase 1 in late november at Winchester. During my interview the interviewing officer told me that I would be the first sikh to join the Int Corps in it's history. He said that he checked through the records and couldn't find anything to suggest otherwise, i wonder if anyone knows anything different? Thanks all.
Absolutely no idea, but would think probably none since 1945 - and they would have been Indian Army, come to think of it. Whichever, how fantastic to be the first wearer of the turban in cypress green. Welcome aboard, if you have half as much fun as I did in my time, you'll be doing well.

Are you planning to go to the darkside - i.e. become a linguist, at all, he enquired innocently...

why is that the dark side?lol. Well i scored quite high on my MLAT meaning I can study any language and put myself forward for arabic. The interviewing officer advised me that I am capable of doing other jobs and have the potential to do other jobs and to not commit myself to linguistics straight away.hmm.

evilgenius said:
that would be a negative, there is a sikh lad in the TA Int Corps.

however, you may be the first sikh regular so welcome aboard!!
He does have a marvellous cypress green turban!

Well done mate - well done. My Uncle Albert [no, not just made that up...] was in the Lancashire Fusiliers in India and Burma during WW2. He had a great deal of praise for his Sikh infantry colleagues -- great soldiers.

All the best for your future career!

sandhujatt said:
nah mate. am very much my own person as you'll find out. i don't expect to get treated any different to how any other soldier gets treated.
Good for you and good luck mate. Do yourself and the British Army proud.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
sandhujatt said:
why is that the dark side?lol. Well i scored quite high on my MLAT meaning I can study any language and put myself forward for arabic. The interviewing officer advised me that I am capable of doing other jobs and have the potential to do other jobs and to not commit myself to linguistics straight away.hmm.
Well, don't dismiss linguist immediately. Fantastic opportunities to do all manner of entertaining stuff, plus you get a taste of regimental life (OK, it's often just R Signals, but still quite good fun) and some seriously interesting jobs.

No disadvantage post-Service, either...

Glad_its_all_over said:
sandhujatt said:
Well, don't dismiss linguist immediately. Fantastic opportunities to do all manner of entertaining stuff, plus you get a taste of regimental life (OK, it's often just R Signals, but still quite good fun) and some seriously interesting jobs.

No disadvantage post-Service, either...
Working with the Sigs isn't ALL bad.

Good luck, 'ol boy. Being a pioneer is no easy task. Don't let those who come after you down.

oooo

it must be old age or dsylexia kicking in, but i thought we had loads of sikhs in the corps already? they get together every january i think, usually for a couple of weeks somewhere snowy.

it's called INTSIKH, if i recall correctly...

*groan* - coat, gone :)

sandhujatt May I add my welcome to all those above. (Apart for one solitary comment that is certainly beneath contempt.)

You may be aware that there is an excellent display in the museum remembering the fallen from all flavours of the Intelligence Corps.

I dare say that you will find some Sikh forebarers in the roll of the fallen for the Indian Intelligence Corps. Perhaps NTTT or Mrs Raven could advise?

May you have as much fun, and leave with as many friends as I did.

You service around the world may also confirm a view that lack of intellect, frequently manifests its self as prejudice, hiding behind a shield of race or religion ?

Congratulations on passing selection, I wish you all the best for your army career!

Welcome to the gang. Int Corps did have a 'mirror' Corps so to speak during the second World War, in the Indian Army. The Corps recently had a project whereby every Int Corps war grave was visited and im SURE there were some indian (not ness Sikh) names.

Stay on the light side my friend and do not be seduced by the power of MLAT.