Sikh Martial Arts

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Mr_Fingerz, Oct 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Sikh..... and ye shall find.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Those bracelets look like the things the Turkana carve each other up with in Loki after a couple of jars on a Saturday night.
  4. CplFoodspoiler

CplFoodspoiler War Hero Book Reviewer

Ah, I see he is a believer in the old adage "never turn up to a knife fight without your flintlock"
  5. I like his Rosa Klebb shoes. Anyone got any better pictures f of them?

I've always liked the chakram - the steel ring that you throw like a Frisbee except is has a razor edge around the outside. An ideal toy for an annoying dog.
  6. BTW, the bandook or 'bundhook', a word that came back from India with the Army. I wonder if that is the origin of the phrase 'sling your hook', i.e. sling your rifle and get out??

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Mr Song?

Song Martial Arts Homepage
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Funny, I could be (probably would be) termed racist, but I do have more time for Sikhs than any of the other lot. Probably becuase they really do wear their badge of religon on their heads, wrists and round their necks, as opposed to the sneaky, sleekit, treacherous other fudds.
  9. They're not a bad bunch at all.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Nope it's a matelot thing. At each end of a hammock was a hook to fix it to some point on the bulkhead so you could get some sleep. To "sling your hook" was to either put up or take down your hammock.

Gods I know shit about shit.
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I'd give it a go but I am 10th Dan in the ancient Geordie art of self defence Shoutovyermates and that takes up all my spare time.

"...and has been known to a dwindling band since the British forced Sikhs to give up arms in the 19th Century."

Nobody told Khudadad Khan. The daft bastard got himself a VC in WW1 by not being forced to give up arms. Another 100,000 of the sneaky bastards also completely failed to give up arms in WW1 and 14 more of them had won themselves a VC by the end of WW2. They are lovely people but completely crap at giving up arms.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Aah, the Turkana Fighting knives... my old man had a pair (no, I'm not Turkana)
  13. Got a bunch of them in the safe, complete with grungy rawhide guards on the blades. Also got one of those BFO sticks they use to soften each other up before the main event kicks off. Saw an old jezail while working in the Sud but no chance of getting it home past the customs mongs.