Signs of the times

The credit crunch is almost one year old in the UK and in full swing. I reckon some people have modified their behaviour and include my examples.

:arrow: Driving after 8pm is now pleasant as the roads are almost empty!

:arrow: Several "For Sale" signs in the streets around Litotes' Manor when, for years, those houses sold without a board in sight!

What signs of the times have you noticed?

Litotes

Fuel being siphoned and shoplifting of food not crap gift items has gone up

I dont think Waitrose sells polish food???

Lady_H said:
I dont think Waitrose sells polish food???
I typed "Polish" into Ocado's search facility and it came up with 25 returns..

Admittedly, the brands were Kiwi, Brasso, Pledge, Mr Sheen....

ark-angel said:
Fuel being siphoned and shoplifting of food not crap gift items has gone up
putteesinmyhands said:
Polish food on sale in most supermarkets.
No wonder no one around Shitechapel/Mile End area ever noticed the whole thing happening.

Two hitch-hikers in the last week! I haven't seen one for years!

Lots of "For Sale" signs in vehicles parked on the side of the road and in gardens.

Litotes

I have closed my own estate agency and am struggling like f**k as a mortgage broker. As a consequence no longer heat the swimming pool.

ABrighter2006 said:
Hasn't Halifax now fired Howard, he of the "Halifax Xtra" campaign, to the tune of Tom Jones' Sex Bomb?
So it's not all bad news then :D

Some very expensive 4 X 4s parked outside detached properties that are for sale. Properties next I reckon. Saw a beautful Jag 3Ltr for sale. A snip at £2995 and I might just buy if only polish onSaturdays in order to drive on Sundays.

Scabbers said:
Some very expensive 4 X 4s parked outside detached properties that are for sale. Properties next I reckon. Saw a beautful Jag 3Ltr for sale. A snip at £2995 and I might just buy if only polish onSaturdays in order to drive on Sundays.
Already a few dealers in this part of the South East refusing to take Chelsea tractors in PX - "worth more in scrap"

You can imagine the letter from somewhere in the home counties...

For God's sake Prime Minister, just how do you expect the precious darlings to get to school? If, it carries on at this rate, schoolchildren in this area, will have to resort to travelling with knife wielding comprensive shool thugs and bullies. What are you doing about this?

Major_Catastrophe said:
I have closed my own estate agency and am struggling like f**k as a mortgage broker. As a consequence no longer heat the swimming pool.
You closed it? Loser! Surely you operate a skeleton service, things will eventually pick up you know.

An estate agent acting on my behalf a couple of years ago was almost entirely elusive during the boom. Saw him a couple of weeks ago and he afforded me 40 minutes of his time for a friendly chat while his mobile was silent!

ABrighter2006 said:
Hasn't Halifax now fired Howard, he of the "Halifax Xtra" campaign, to the tune of Tom Jones' Sex Bomb?
Nice post!

A little hardship right now will do all of us a load of good. Make us re evaluate how we live and consider what are neccesaties and what is crap frill. Those who can't afford £5.50 a day on fags will cut down and become healthier, those fatties who eat too much will buy less food and become healthier, those who drive half a mile to the shops will now walk and become healthier.

When life gets easier if we all return to our wasteful ways then that's our fault but at least we have this opportunity to make amends for the better.