Signing Off

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by B_AND_T, Nov 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Don't know about any of you but I am getting sick of people signing off, just so they can have the carrot dangled and get the posting they want. One of our blokes has done it 5 times, and gets what he wants.

Why can't they just accept it and get on with it, it makes life easier.

Yes I'm bitter!!! :x :x
  2. Granted, it is shit however sometimes its the only way to be heard!!!
  3. Too may cnuts think that signing off and looking for the sympathy vote will get tham what they want. Amazingly, a certain idiot in my unit has tried this and was told in no uncertain terms to fcuk off if they didn't like it and that the chain was not going to be held to ransom!!!

4. I don't agree with people doing this. If they want to sign off to try and get a posting, promotion, course etc then they are not the sort of people we should be trying to accommodate in this Army.

I know that it works though, so if it is made not to work then perhaps people might get the message that if they sign off they will be out !!

Oxygen Thiefs the lot of them. !!

Although if I dont get the posting and promotion to CDS from Sgt then I might consider it myself :oops:
  5. There has been a growing culture of this over the past few years, unfortunately the army cannot afford to let its people go, unless of course they only have 5 or 6 years left to push when it is in the MOD's interest to let them go.
  6. Signed off 97 when I arrived at York (2 Sigs) Got looked over for promo so thought " fook it, had enough, time to grow up"

Was told by a mate who was a SNCO that the Squadron seniors saw this as exactly that - trying to get promo by signing off. That was total bollox...

Nearly 9 down the line I have no regrets. Infact I am glad I jumped before being pushed.

Every Soldier/Airperson/SeaPerson has to leave service. I am glad I did it at a time where I could choose jobs, rather than jobs choosing me.
  7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

But thats the difference, you wern't signing off to get your promotion. You made your choice and stuck to it. All credit to you.

Would you have had much respect for yourself or from others if you had signed back on because promotion was offered.
  8. Yes the system totally suks, :x , but it is the system and not the individual. Play the game and reap the benefits if you win! No I am not one of those who has signed off to get ahead, it has pished me off in the past seeing it happen, but at the same time the individuals I have known do it have not been managed very well by their superiors.
  9. Surely you should blame the system and not the individual. Everybody always looks after number 1 and if the system lets them do it then so be it. I ahve found exactly the same in civvie street and the fact that you have to amke a fuss to get a pay rise otherwise you will get naff all becuase the employer thinks they can get away with it!

10. Cow

Cow LE

Signed off and left 2 Sigs as well! In 99 alot of people seemed to be doing the signing off and on thing, who makes the decision that they're worth keeping when they want to stay? Is it just a numbers game? Retaining those who want to stay and investing in them would give better results than keeping people to maintain 'manning'.
  11. Don't let them do it! Only let them sign back on if they are worth keeping!

Easier said than done, though!

12. I appreciate that we're all in the army and have to go where we are told but MCM divs need to start looking after the guys better. I realise that people do sign off to get what they want and they normally end up leaving anyway or becoming a self righteous twat who steps on anyone to get to the top. There are genuine people out there who want to stay in but for personal reasons cant. For example MCM divs posting people where they dont want to go and disrupting family life. I realise that posts need to be filled but how many times have you heard of people getting posted to a unit they didnt want to go to only to find that the guy they replaced wanted to stay. I have been told that i cannot stay at my current unit which i enjoy (and no-one wants to come to) and that i will go where i am sent. Due to personal cicumstances (which i wont go into) i need to stay where i am or in the area, which is not likely. With this in mind i have decided that if i get a posting order that doesnt suit me then i will sign off. Before you scream what a whinger i have never once whinged off of any tours or exercises in 18 years and am still fully commited to my current post. If by signing off i get offered a carrot i would consider staying in and continue the endless round of Op tours until my 22. As far as i can see i wouldnt be putting anyone out by staying put just saving the army 2 lots on removals, disturbance allowance, disembarcation leave and all the wasted time booking out and in.
  13. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Baldy_Git. Well put! However you havn't spent your career doing this. Every situation is different and the merits of each should be taken in consideration. If you would consider this option, for the first time, in 18 years, then MCM Div must look deep into your case, hopefully with the backing of your chain of command.

The people who p*ss me off are the one's who think because they have had a bum deal, who hasn't in the Army, by doing this they achieve their aims and dont give a flying F*** about how they achieve it or who they walk over to get there.
  14. I have to admit even to this day I have zero respect for the Troop seniors/Sqn seniors of the time. Also the CO who clearly thought it was to good and offer to turn down - oh how his face hit the fookin floor!
    As for the self respect - I walked out the office 10 foot tall...... :D
  15. There were loads at York when I was getting out..... don't know if any stayed in though!