Signing Off

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by g10-4-men, Sep 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody know when you can sign off? Is it 3 years from the start of basic training or 3 years and 3 months? I joined Oct 06. Cheers

2. You can give 12 month's notice at your 3 year point; so, that will be Oct 09 for you and you will be out on the 4th anniversary of joining which is in Oct 2010.

Before you sign off, you must appreciate that there is little chance under the current circumstances that you can cancel or rejoin later unless you are in a shortage trade.

Make certain you know that what your entitlement is for resettlement, decide where you are going to live and what you are going to do.

Then talk to your Pl Comd; he/she will probably ask for that information - solely in order to ensure that you are thinking about your future and not just reacting to a bad week.

Litotes

3. Cheers litotes. Is this a definate answer cause i've got a different answer everytime i ask someone.

4. If you are required to return 4 years service, you can sign off at your 3 year point. otherwise you would be returning longer service.

Some trades have asked for five years, in which case you can sign off at 4.

The above assumes you were in the Army after your 18th birthday. If not you can sign off on your 21st and be out at 22.

Don't confuse signing off with leaving.

Think long and hard about it, for the reasons Litotes lists.

5. If you know the forces is definately not for you then by all means bin it, only the utterly incompetant find it IMPOSSIBLE to find adequate work to keep their head above water but as advised explore other avenues before leaving, I struggled a bit straight away but for some people life isnt the same again and your potential for getting back once gone apparently is minimal.

6. Go on your JPA and look at your contracts screen, it will tell you there exactly which date to work from.

As a side note - Career breaks are being actively encouraged atm, if you think that possibly you just need a break to try something else. At least that way, you can come back if it all goes horribly wrong, which it oftenm does.

7. If you are really desperate to go ASP in the current climate you will probably be allowed to go sooner than normal - but as posted above please ensure you are very sure of what you are doing as there is little chance of going back once you have hit the submit button! The grass is seldom greener on the other side!

PW

8. or transfer

9. As Jt9563 wrote, check your JPA screen.

Litotes

10. MAY I SUGGEST THAT YOU THINK LONG AND HARD.
    I HAVE BEEN OUT NOW FOR TWENTY YEARS AFTER SERVING 15 YEARS.....BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE.
    IT IS A DIFFERENT BALL GAME IN CIVVIE STREET. GOOD JOB PROSPECTS AT PRESENT ARE WEAK, YOUR SOCIAL LIFE TAKES A NOSEDIVE AND CIVVIES 'DON'T UNDERSTAND' AND ,ON THE WHOLE ,THEY ARE A BUNCH OF SELF CENTRED B*ST*RDS WHO WOULD NOT KNOW WHAT TEAM WORKING AND CAMARADERIE ARE IF IT HIT THEM IN THE FACE.
    :? WHATEVER YOUR DECISON I WISH YOU WELL

11. THANK!!!!!!! YOU!!!!!!! FOR!!!!!!! THAT!!!!!!! INCH!!!!!!! HIGH!!!!!!!

VERY!!!!!!! INFORMATIVE!!!!!!

You'll find caps lock to the left of you keyboard, roughly half way up or half way down depending on your outlook on life.

12. HE'S GOT A POINT THOUGH!!!!!!!!!

Dont sign off unless its what you really want deep down. I think the days of signing off in a strop to get the posting etc you wanted are gone. From what I hear now, if you sign off its very difficult to turn it around if you change your mind.

Theres fcuk all going on civvie strasse at the minute unless your a bailiff or something like that. The chances of somebody just out the Army getting a start somewhere are low, although not impossible. There are time served people taking a step down just to stay in work.

My advice would be stay in for now and stick it out, least you'll have a regular wage and digs. keep your eyes on civvie street, no one knows when the recession is going to end. personally I think it will end on a wednesday, or maybe even a thursday. You heard it here first.

13. He has, that's why I thanked him for his post, and told him that it was...

VERY!!!!!!! INFORMATIVE!!!!!!

I just thought he was a bit deaf

:D

14. If you know the army isnt for you, leave...but think carefully. I guess that you are young, and that atleast gives you a chance to start again in a career that you may like or enjoy. Yes we are going through hard times, globally. But people that say that there are no jobs out there, are narrow minded...or just cant be arrsed themselves to leave and live in the tough world of civie street where you have to watch your own back. I appreciate that thousands of people have lost jobs over the past 12 months, but I know many of them have gone into employment fairly rapidly afterwards.

And no one really knows when the recession will end, it wont actually end as such, it will gradually and slowly improve without us really noticing.