Signing off and Paternity Leave

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by fingeringhoe, Aug 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've heard we are entitled to up to 6 months unpaid paternity leave, can this be taken whilst signing off. Can I sign off then take this leave, or can i sign off whilst on paternity leave. Any help on this one would be apreciated. It would be nice to come back off tour and have little time left to do!

2. I'd be surprised if its 6 months Paternity as in civvie street Statutory Paternity Leave is only 2 weeks IIRC.

3. Google is your friend

Fathers to get six months' paternity leave | Money | guardian.co.uk

a) It was a Labour proposal before the election
    b) it was for children born after Apr 2011

Therefore I don't think it was introduced, but stand to be corrected.

4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Current statutory Paternity leave is 1 week at paternity pay (usually 90% wage I think) and 1 week unpaid....to be taken as a single block.
    Companies may increase this but that is an internal issue.

S_R

5. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I believe this has been introduced, however, to be able to have the 6 months, the mother needs to return to full time work before the baby is 6 months old.

6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

7. But surely this is for paid paternity leave. I'm talking about unpaid paternity leave

8. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

No such thing as unpaid paternity leave, as far as I'm aware.

9. As far as I am aware a father is entitled to 2 weeks statutory paternity leave following the birth of a child. You have to tell your employer about it and take the 2 weeks within 56 days of the birth. You CAN take 6 months unpaid paternity leave, it is law, just as the 2 weeks paid is law. It doesn't matter if you have signed off, you are still entitled to the 2 weeks. I'm not sure about the 6 months though but I'd suggest that you've got to be pretty thick to want to take 6 months off unpaid prior to leaving the Army.

10. The OP is confusing Paternity (rightly explained in posts above) with Parental leave. Rather than go through the whole chapter (chapter 23 of JSP 760), basically:

Yes you can take up to 13 weeks unpaid parental leave before the childs 5th birthday

You have to prove parental responsibility and that child is under 5 (birth cert)

Maximum of 4 calendar weeks in a 12 month period

It is non-reckonable service so won't count towards pension

Unit can postpone by 12 months if justified.

If you can read the chapter of JSP 760. Word of warning, i am in a unit with so called intelligent soldiers. One of these so called intelligent bods tried this prior to completing 22 yrs, all smug about getting 3 weeks out of the system until pointed out points above, cue lots of backtracking!

11. Unless you continue to be entitled to an MQ, medical and dental care, Mess facilities etc in which case it looks like a damn good fiddle.

Or am I missing something ..... ?