Signet Rings

Discussion in 'Officers' started by afghanman, Oct 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could anyone elighten me as to the significance of the signet ring commonly worn on the pinky of the left hand??

The wearers, mostly British Army Oficers and esteemed civilian gentlemen, usually speak in high class english tones and is often seem playing with it (aka Prince Charles).

Is it an Upper Class sovereign ring akin to those worn by gypsies, people from essex and other types such as these.
  2. RLC Officers (Haulage Contractors) wear 'sovvies'. They are also de riguer with junior Officers from the RE (Brickies mates).
  3. They normally have some sort of family significance, denoting a lineage from Elizabeth Duke or Argos.
  4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I've always had this strong feeling that male jewellery, including signet rings, is a bit... well... gay. Rationally I know many thoroughly heterosexual men wear signet rings and other such items, but I can't help feeling that deep down, they are craving some man love. I'm sorry, but there we are.
  5. Theres clearly only one answer:

6. If an officer's family were granted arms or otherwise ennobled, then it is correct to wear a signet ring on the left pinkie - it should be discreet and merely have the arms engraved on it. However, if an officer believes it is the 'done thing' and rushes out to buy one with arms to which he is not entitled, then he is a wannabe. If the ring contains any type of stone then that is most definitely gay.

When in doubt question suspected wannabes.
  7. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Signet rings were orginally used when letters were sealed with wax.

A scribe wrote the letter for the "gentleman" who then sealed it with wax and pressed his ring into it leaving an impression of his coat of arms
  8. Aye, and they still can be. Surprisingly, quite a number of stationery shops still sell sealing wax.
  9. I tried pressing my 'ring' into hot wax before. Couldn't sit down for weeks after it. I recall it left a star shaped impression which was sort of smeared due to the speed at which the hot wax and my ring parted company.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

You should have gripped the arms of the sofa and got someone to rip it off. You would have a lovely clean ring and no need for the bidet.
  11. Jayzus...should have seen this coming a mile off. :mrgreen:
  12. I have found those gentlemen who wear signet rings really appreciate it when you ask them personally why they are wearing it.

Your question is usually met with a hurumph and a swift change of subject. Try it...
  13. So, what is it that you're saying then?
  14. I believe that a signet ring signifies membership of an exclusive club which is best not to talked about in public circles. Best discussed over a tumbler of fine malt in front of the fire in the mess.

Not seen many WOs, SNCOs or JNCOs wearing them. Any ideas??
  15. Fortnum and ....?