Signet Rings

While being vaguely familiar with the aforementioned street (assuming that it is the one somewhere between Sloane Square and Knightsbridge), I'm not sure what you are getting at.

If it's not the family one with Great Uncle Horaces blood from Waterloo still on it don't bother, rather naff and don't try the soverign one!

Busterdog said:
Don't think many people read Waugh these days.....
................then they should!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Our American cousins think they fall into the 'don't ask don't tell' category along with pink shirts. What would they know the College rings they wear would make a drug dealer blush.

Poppy said:
Busterdog said:
Don't think many people read Waugh these days.....
................then they should!
Agreed. Nothing wrong with signets though, as long as it's not massive.

If you really must appear to be someone with an estate or 'important' family crest, then by all means get yourself a ring designed to make marks in hot wax.

I personally think its a silly affectation most of the time. Bit like having a BMW keychain without driving one.

I don't think I'd wear one even if I did have an estate.

Why on earth would you have a BMW keychain if you aren't driving one?

At least go for an Aston keychain!

As for silly affectations, I'm proud of my family history (even if we are 19th century industrialist upstarts), so I wear the ring. If you aren't, don't.

NewbishDelight said:
Why on earth would you have a BMW keychain if you aren't driving one?

At least go for an Aston keychain!

As for silly affectations, I'm proud of my family history (even if we are 19th century industrialist upstarts), so I wear the ring. If you aren't, don't.
Any car you like.

Affectation (according to Merriam Webster)

1 a: the act of taking on or displaying an attitude or mode of behavior not natural to oneself or not genuinely felt b: speech or conduct not natural to oneself : artificiality

2 obsolete : a striving after

synonyms: see Pose

If you don't think it applies to you then nae bother... but I say that it does apply to some people with signet rings. Feck it, if they want to wear signet rings they can go ahead and knock themselves out. Have one on each finger and thumb. Its their right. Its also my right to consider them an affected *. A breed of Walt.

NewbishDelight said:
'Fraid I wear a signet ring because thanks to some bloody nuisances called Cromwell and William of Orange, and Gallowglass grandpere's propensity for gambling, wenching (allegedly), and hare-brained schemes, it's the only tangible part of my family heritage left to me :king: ....that, and the overdraft I'm told I stand to inherit 8O

Generally if someone draws attention to the fact that they're wearing one, they probably aren't entitled to do so - there are actually 'groups' on that facebook whatsit dedicated to those parvenus who wear signet rings...have to be seen to be believed :omg:

I was given my signet ring for my 21st birthday and despite various very drunken escapades I still have it 20+ years later (much to my surprise). If I have the funds, I will give a signet ring to my sons on their 21st.

I would concur with Gallowglass in that if you need to announce it to all and sundry then something is not quite right. I think the most apt word is discrete when it comes to the ring and the wearing of it.

Oh, and I'm 100% hetro.

By entitled I think Gallowglass means that any heraldic design (crest or shield) on the ring has to have been granted to you* or your ancestor by the proper heraldic authorities. Googling for your surname and picking the coat of arms listed by various commercial websites for your ring would, strictly speaking, be a no-no.

* As a commissioned officer in HM Forces you meet the requirements for a grant of a coat of arms. However, you do need about £4K for the fees.

gallowglass said:
Generally if someone draws attention to the fact that they're wearing one, they probably aren't entitled to do so -
Doesn't posting the fact that you wear one; on an internet site viewed by hundreds of thousands of people, constitute drawing attention to oneself?
By all means, feel free to wear signet rings, cravats and even plus fours if you so wish, but don't be surprised when us plebs treat you as a source of amusement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Forces Discounts 1
Dashing_Chap The NAAFI Bar 41
afghanman Officers 141