signed off then sent on tour

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by pirate216, Dec 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello,

I have just signed off. because I signed off during a temporary course posting I needed to be posted for my final 12 months.

I am being sent immediately overseas for pre-deployment training followed by a six month tour.

I did not get given this posting/tour until I signed off.

My question is: can they send me on such a tour as a reaction to me signing off?

I understand that signing off doesnt get you out of tours that you have been warned about. but I signed off first and the tour is a reaction to that.

What are you views?

2. If it overlaps with your final 6 months then they cannot do it.

If you have the full 12 months left then they can is the simple answer.

3. Think of it as a way of saving all your cash before getting out, yo'll need it because there is/will be fcuk all work for you when you do.

4. :rofl:

LOL!!

5. I found myself in Kosovo in 99 after I signed off (2 weeks after returning from a Bosnia tour). So they can and will if they need the manpower. You will just need to plan your resettlement better, that's all, and you have the benefit of having all of your resettlement courses and outstanding post tour\annual\termination leave taking up the remainder of your time, so once you return from tour you will hardly see much of the army at all!

6. No they cannot -

Queens Regs mate. The criteria for sending someone on tour in their last 6 must be extremely extremely compelling and making up the numbers does not cut it.

7. He is not in his last 6 months, can you quote Chapter and Verse from QR's as I have never seen anything on sending people on Op Tours in their last 6 months. They must have at least 6 months Reckonable Service at the end of their tour to complete Resettlement, however, they can still send you and apply to have your Run Out Date extended to give you the 6 months required.

8. In a simple answer to your question, yes they can send you on tour.
    The sheer fact you have given in your notice hints to me that you have already served at least 3 years reckonable service, so this should not really come as much suprise to you!

There is nothing to stop you doing PDT, or deploying, but should you come to your resettlement period before the end of the tour, you should be skipped back to wherever you are based.

Little example- I gave in my notice, and was then put on a recce commanders course straight after! Completed that about 5 months later, deployed to Poland, and then skipped BATUS as was due to scoot- ended up changing my mind, so am still in now. You get my drift though.

This is the army, and you are still an asset- you have only given 12 months notice, you aren't out just yet!

9. I already said that if he is not in last 6 then tough luck.

But they cannot extend your date. 12 months after the papers are signed your out. This has already been covered in another thread whereby the regs were quoted.

10. The 6 month thing for return from Ops and the extention came out recently in either a DIN, DSPS(I) or something like that, I will get the reference and post it on here.

11. It is interesting this one not just from a what can they do point.

You infer from you post that by signing off you are now excused soldiering, so what do you think is the correct employment for a soldier who has signed off?

12. Who is that post aimed at Paderborn?

13. Where did I say that Paderborn? :?

No I do not think that but a soldier has the right to resettlement and to make the transition back to civilian life (do you know many jobs whereby firing at a figure 12A is a requirement?)

Unless of course you are of the opinion that once a soldier has served his duty he should still devote his life forevermore to the organisation. :roll:

This is just a job. An important one that commands respect, but still just a job. None of us would be here for free.

For some soldiers it's short term, for others it's for life(style) and for more yet their circumstances change.

So I will repeat my comments for the ignorant -

12 months to go - Tough Luck, get your webbing sorted cause you should not be complaining, your a soldier, your paid as a soldier and it's time to work.

Less than 12 overlapping with last 6 - You are entitled to your last 6 months to transition to civilian life. The relevant DINS are kicking about here somewhere so dig them out.

I suppose you have the lad on tour until his final day, fly him home, dekit him and then kick him onto civvy street with a complete lack of preparation? People like you could possibly explain why the majority of our nations homeless are ex-squaddies lacking the most basic skills and unable to function without the military support network.

14. LongJohnSilver

No one in particular, I am just interested in what people think should be the way soldiers should be employed when they have signed off no matter how long before they are discharged.

Dontdreamit

You asked for views, I gave one that seems to have niggled you,

your sentence
    I suppose you have the lad on tour until his final day, fly him home, dekit him and then kick him onto civvy street with a complete lack of preparation? People like you could possibly explain why the majority of our nations homeless are ex-squaddies lacking the most basic skills and unable to function without the military support network.

15. Well then.................... :x .........

............fine........... :oops:

............you enjoying Paderborn? :D