Signed for Commitment Bonus

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by brookesl, Sep 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I signed for my 5 year commitment bonus in February, as I joined in 2004 it is a 2 year return of service, long story short I need to leave. I am wondering if I sign off now will I have to repay the money (5500) right away or before my last day in the army? An would i be required to pay the full 5500 or the 4300 that i actually received after tax etc?

2. Not sure when you would have to pay it off, but the sooner the better I would say. You will be debited the full £5500 from your pay, but be credited with the Tax & NI that you paid on it. So net effect is the same as you paying back exactly what you received.

You can opt to pay it back in 1 lump sum as well if you choose to, so don't spend any of it if you plan to pay it back !!

Speak to your FSA and he/she should be able to advise accordingly

3. Cheers mate. Was planning on doing the time but due to changes with family circumstances so already used the money on a car which i can't sell till april so my hopes were that i could pay it back then. Will speak to the FSA Tuesday and find out exactly what my options are.