Signature Blocks - The use of 'designated' appointments.

Discussion in 'Military Discipline' started by BuggerAll, Jul 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Is there any rule/etiquette on the use of designated appointments in a signature block?
  2. No idea, I have my setting, set up so that I can not see any of them.

Saves a heck of alot of load and page switch time.
  3. JSP101 is your answer!
  4. BuggerAll

As far as I can see it doesn't mention it which is why I mentioned etiquette.

Common sense suggests using my current appointment when writing on matters that concern it and using both on matters that relate to my 'designated' appointment although the practicabilities of signature blocks in outlook means that they are likely to get mixed up at some point so I wondered if there is a 'usual practice' or not.
  5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Direction came out awhile ago with regards to DII sig blocks and how they were to be standardised but can be arrsed to find it. If you want I'll PM the format we use.
  6. Very simple, see below:

Rank Name | Appointment | Unit | Postal Address
    Military: 12345 0987 | Civilian: 01234 987654 | DII(F) - email address@whatever
  7. Forget Etiquette - 101 makes life simpler than earlier "Rules". Main question is who are you writing to: Within you unit, They should know you and therefore understand that you are Adjt, Pl Cmdr, RSO, PMC, MT Details Cpl etc. If you're writing to an external source the for OC, for CO etc is appropriate (Was recently given this very direction from an SO1 - no ref to the appt, just name, rank and for...). If your rank comes with an appt eg WO2 (CSM), (RQMS) etc, then include this on the same line. If you're writing to a civvy; assume they don't know Mil abbs and write in full.
    If you quote your options, a more accurate answer can be suggested.....
  8. For email, Yes. B_ALL, but he doesn't make clear email or a formal letter etc
  9. And try to avoid that lame trick of putting designation after designation after your name - AAT BA HONS etc. One or two are ok, but I swear some signatures look like someone's vommitted alphabet soup over their screen
  10. BuggerAll

Quite. I understand how to build a signature block as per JSP 101 etc but on the narrow point of 'designated appointments' as far as I can see 101 has nothing to say although nothing in it disallows them.

I just wondered if there was a standard practice.
  11. You have a fair amount to do with Crabs, then :wink:
  12. Just tell us your "designated appt" and we can advise....
  13. To expand the original question, what happens with someone who has a doctorate? Is it Dr Cpl Xxxx or Cpl Dr Xxxx?
  14. In addition to Legs' reply, Hons and Awds are NOT to be added to email address blocks
  15. BuggerAll

It isn't either. It's Cpl Xxxx PhD BLANKSHIRES in a formal context but not in an email letterblock. Or if a medical doctor in a doctors PID it would be in his/her job description under the name.