Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Lancialfa, Nov 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

Does anybody know/ have an information about the Q.O.O.H 5th signal squadron?

It appears hard to find anything online!
  2. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

3. Thanks for that scary spice..... i mananged to find this and not much else, they must have a new recruitment site somewhere?
  4. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Boney that's actually a link from the page I directed him to already....

Lancialfa - you won't find much more than that on the web. It gives you the address and the contact details doesn't it? Seriously give them a call and arrange to pop in and see them on a Tuesday evening - you will find out far more that you will from the Internet and it really doesn't commit you to joining just by walking into the place!

Good luck.
  5. Thanks guys ..... im sure that some people got there "wires crossed" :) to talk about communication! I just got attested the other night by the way, and wanted to have a good read about the QOOH. Thanks scaryspice....
  6. If it's the history of the QOOH that interests you then the Wikipedia entry isn't too bad.

If you're going to be in London between now and 1st March next year the For Your Eyes Only exhibition at the Imperial War Museum includes Ian Fleming's father Valentine's full QOOH dress uniform, as well as the original cross from his grave. Interesting relics of the QOOH's first world war service and the splendour of the Yeomanry before the war.
  7. Excellent... I shall be going there most definately! Cheers.
  8. signals communicate, now that's funny. When did they start doing that? :?
  9. Im guessing that the whole "communication" gig is not a new thing amongst non- signals regiments...? :?
  10. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Nice to hear you're interested in the history Lancialfa :)

The wiki article isn't bad and does have some good links at the bottom. However your best bet is through the Squadron itself which has very strong links with the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Trust who are the guardians of the history so to speak.

I can certainly recommend the book published to celebrate 200 years of the QOOH in 1998 - Reference 6 in the Wiki article - I would be amazed if the Squadron does not have a copy....
  11. I think I will have a good nosey on tuesday night....... just a quick question, is there a passing out parade at the end of either phase 1/2 basic training?
  12. I'm a scaley. :D
  13. Excellent, how long for.. if you dont mind me asking :?
  14. Not in the ceramonial sense no. End of course parades vary from Barracks to Barracks - mine was an informal hollow square whilst they hand out the prizes for "least likely to slot himself" or "most likely to trip over his own shoelaces" (actually, top dog, top shot and most improved).

But I've heard others have had a parade, with family members allowed to watch etc. I guess you'll find out when you tip up for the course.