signals questions - trade training to deployment

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Scoots, Jan 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

Am doing a bit of research on trades at the moment to look at different options, now I've got some specific questions regarding signals, can you please help with the following?

1)after you've finished basic is the basic trade course 2 weeks like most others?

2)does this course qualify you as a radio operator?

3)are you then eligible to go to theatre or is it a case of attending your unit for a period of time whilst your unit gains confidence in you?

Many thanks

Scoots

2. In answer to your questions:

1. The trade course is normally a 9 day Trade Camp at the end of the course you would be a B3 traded CS Op, this will be in all aspects of 2 Bde equipment.

2. Yes once you are trade trained you are a fully qualified and liable for Ops. If I was you I would serve for at least one to two years first getting in comms and general military experience before you deploy on Ops, there is no need to rush in to things there will be plenty of time and opportunity for you to go a tour in the future.

Hope this helps

STILTS

3. ok cheers PM inbound

4. Erm no. First modules are two weekends within unit (inc ECDL?)

Followed by 9 days on general comms, inc BOWMAN

Then Pre Employment Training (PET) with regiment on your regiments kit.

Then as above

To gain class 2 you will need to complete PET modules on the other regiments in 2 Sig Bdes kit

5. In my experience, the 2 weekends within unit was contained in 1 weekend package known as the 'BSS' - most people refer to it simply as 'BS' but anyway it is focussed around 2 Bde structure and a bit of playing with Airwave. It is taken by all trades.

Then yes, you get the pleasure of 9 Days either at 2 Bde at Donnington or at RSS. And that is a proper bone way to spend 9 days.

I don't know if the 9 Days covers BOWMAN, on my trade course we had a very small amount of kit-specific training as it was a 2 Bde course and covered several regiments and thus there were people there who needed Clansman, Lanward, ReBok, CST, the lot... and it would have made no sense to do lessons on the kit itself. We did do an exercise involving some of the kit though where we were shown some hands on and just put up a load of masts (loads) and made loads of bodge masts, which is quite fun. Doing the nightshift in the ReBok was great as you could play call of duty on the projector.

I did my kit-specific (Clansman) training on the job. Then I did Bowman on PET + 2 weekends.

So I guess, to be honest, it's pretty up in the air.

As for Class 2, it's all been shuffled around a lot lately. I did mine under the old system and I didn't have to learn any other kit, I just had to fill in a workbook, answer some questions with the YoS, and get a Cat B license. Unfortunately I never finished it because of the last bit.

As for deployment, I would say you will be lucky to deploy as a CS Op in any other role than an infantry signaller. The only adverts I've seen go up for actual CS Ops to go on tour have been for Class 2 upwards, as Class 3 means you are (theoretically) not allowed on the kit alone. That often gets overlooked, as I was put a Det Cdr twice on a Class 3 having proven I knew my stuff - but what you do on tour depends on whats on paper, and on paper until you're a Class 2 you're really considered a deployable CS Op as such.

6. sorry to be dim here, but can you explain how the different classes class 3, 2...etc relate to the completion of the trade courses?

Cheers

Scoots

7. Class3 is the basic qualification you can work the kit but not unsupervised

8. Cheers for that, in the training schedule described above when are you class 3 and when do you reach class 2? And also just to clarify are you likely to be deployed as a CS Op infantry signalled regardless?

Cheers

S

9. Note the change to your quote.

CS Op training is(/was) at the end of last year being changed, correctly in my opinion, to train a RSigs generic operator for use in all parts of the corps - not 2 Sig Bde.

My earlier post was correct as of Oct 09 and the first course in the new format ran a couple of weeks earlier. CLANSMAN should be out, it has no further use in the Corps - maybe the odd TA unit but not in the corps.

As an ex Infantry Regt Sigs Sgt, I'd prefer TA infantry sigs over TA RSigs, they are trained for the role, you aren't (they are far better all round signallers - they did line, genies, etc which are seperate trades in RSigs)

10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

My bold; can you clarify if you are an Infantryman in the battalion Sigs Platoon or a Royal Signals soldier? If you're Royal Signals you may get attached to an Infantry Coy on operations to work in their Coy ops room, but even that is a "once in a blue moon" rarity that only employs a small minority of the Corps according to one of those who did the job this year.

I don't know of any other "CS Op infantry signalled" roles out there. Maybe Polar can help?

11. Hi cheers for the response, at the moment I'm neither,just looking at options at the moment for joining the right unit. From what I'm reading though am I correct in understanding that if I end up as a CS operator TA royal sigs am I going to be inside or outside the wire? Shoot me down on this by all means but I'd like to know what I'll be doing as much as I reasonably can before committing.

Cheers

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Not shooting you down at all mate. It's a good question. You're joining the TA for a reason and want to aim for the job that will get you closest to what you want. I've been in both jobs and I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that if you want to get in the thick of the action outside the wire, then just go straight to the Infantry.

If you want to do the Comms stuff and that's what flicks your switch, then the Royal Signals would be the better bet as a CS Op or whatever it is called now. You can be guaranteed a job as a signaler and have infinitely more comms kit to play with. I'm sure you'll also get to do some 'green stuff' on exercise with your Signals unit, but opportunities to patrol with the Infantry on Ops will be rare. Realistically the most you would expect to be outside the wire would be to tag along with a patrol down to a Patrol Base to fix their comms or more likely in a vehicle convoy move that required mobile comms for a large operation. Even though we had Royal Signals operators attached to our Company, our own signals det Cpl would come out on Company ops with the OC and the two RSignals boys would mind the ops room.

I'm sure opportunities exist, as with most of the Corps, but as I always say to peeps who go on about such possibilities; if you want to work alongside the Infantry out on the ground, why not just join the Infantry?

13. OK, Fair enough.
    Most TA Sigs units are using Clansman, as every time they get given Bowman it gets taken away again.

not quite true... but hey.

(RSigs wasn't my first post as a Signaller ;) )

But yes, point taken that TA Infantry signallers do make better all rounders. My point was, there are far more mobilisations available for TA Signals to attach to Regular Infantry or TA Infantry units for 1-off tours, than there are for complete TA Sig Regiments to get mobilised.

And thus, the most signal-like position you are realistically likely to get as a new Class 3 Signaller is the radio op in an Inf Pl.

15. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Absolutely, different strokes for different folks. The Royal Signals CS Op or Tech trade would probably suit you to a tee. There are plenty of Signals peeps on here who can tell you about what you might end up doing on tour. From what I've seen of them it is usually manning the Radcon and Comcen offices although with Signal Squadrons being HQ base units their junior bods do get dicked a bit to do some pretty bone taskings at times.