Signals Advice Please

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by McVitie, Sep 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought I had came up with my final decision for my job choice, but have recently rekindled my interest with computers.

So, I've had a little shift around and decided on the Sigs.

I've read all they have to offer at armyjobs and sent for a pack, but no nearer on what trade. So far I've come up with...

Electronic Warfare Systems Operator
    Systems Engineer Technician
    Communication Systems Operator
    Installation Technician

I'm half way through an ECDL course and well on my way to Module 7, would this help towards me being employed with the Sigs? I see you do gain it via the trade training, so It could'nt hurt me. Realistically, what else would put me in good stead of being accepted?

2. I'd suggest you look at the Information Systems Engineer trade a bit closer first. But here's my tuppence worth on the others based on your rekindled interest in computers:

EW Sys Op - Don't bother.

Sys Tech Eng - Merging with IS Eng in April 08 to form the all encompassing Communication Systems Engineer. This will involve (eventually) playing with/ fixing/ maintaining everything from computers to radios and telephony systems. Hope you're good at maths...

CS Op - Hmm... stick with it and you'll end up with a good working knowledge of different comms systems, but not very computery (is that a word? It is now, I've decided).

Inst Tech - Pretty good trade, now they've sorted out the postings and stopped career fouling everybody. Though the closest you'll get to a computer is re-heading a network cable that some piss stained binman has accidently ripped out. Again.

Your best bet is to phone/ call in to a careers office and ask for the most up to date information about the Information Systems Engineer trade, and mention what I said above about the merger with Sys Eng Tech. Hope this helps.

3. Thanks for that. Will defo follow those up. But any advice on the ECDL and what else would benefit me?

4. Go for Information Systems Engineer, or wait until April and go for Communications Systems Engineer. You need to have 5 GCSEs at C or above, including maths & english I think. You also can't be colourblind. If you have ECDL then fair play but it's a compulsory part of basic training anyway, as is the City & Guilds Level 2 in ICT.

Good luck.

5. PD another unbiased assessment!!! :wink:

6. Everyone is colour blind to some degree. It is the level you are that can disqualify you, normally CP3 and below.

7. That's me buggered then!!

8. Not sure how PD got in, he is definately CP 4. Total Rose tint to his view on Labour so must be!

9. :D Militant to the last!!

10. So what is wrong with this trade out of interest ?

11. I'm a tech currently working in the EW world.

Having worked with and seen some of the more diverse roles fullfilled by the EW Op if I was to do it all again I would sure as hell reconsider.

That may be due to the job I joined up to do has changed so much and not quite what I had in mind. Being a jack of all things technical and master of none kind of thing.

12. The lad was on about computers, so it was a no-brainer. A bit like me. :p

That's slanderous filth, you capitalist pig-dog! (er...wait a minute)

13. RTFQ. I was giving advice on trades based on his rekindled interest in computers.

Now't wrong with the trade, just not very "computery" for this chap.

14. just out of interest, do the signals use any programming languages?

I have worked as a computer programmer but the companies I have worked for turned out to be crap working conditions, Computing is also a hobby of mine.

I'm proficient in C++, VB, C#, Java and PHP any use for the army?

15. Binary Warfare

Can you let me know please why "having a rekindled interest in computers" would not be good for an EW Sys Op?

Rgds.