Signaller critically injured by scum

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mercurydancer, May 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

A 22 year old signaller not long back from Afghanistan was assaulted and suffered a subdural haematoma after an unprovoked attack. I am hugely saddened by this attack.

Support for this man would be welcome. I have no idea where the support is going to come from but I'm sure that this site is the proper place to raise it.

If he survives, possibly a holidays for heroes time away with his partner and child?
  2. Well being old fashioned I'm not comfortable with partner & child, but if you would like to PM me I would do what I can to see that he and his family gets a break.
  3. Between this and the Scots lad getting knifed, I'm of the opinion that Britain doesn't deserve it's troops anymore.
  4. The original BBC reports headline was "Soldier 'Critical' After Unprovoked Attack on Teesside". also discussed here

BBC updated page at 17:37 GMT, Wednesday, 12 May

5. I can confirm that this soldier was with his wife and family and parents and was only back for a day on R & R and had been out for a drink. He is one of my lads and is no trouble whatsoever in work a grafter who keeps his head down. There has been further reporting in the Independent online and this goes also says that his attack was unprovoked. All I can say is get well soon Grouty and keep fighting the lads out here are all thinking about you.
  6. Why?

As one who puts money to Hols 4 heroes I don't understand why he should go to the front of the queue. He's still in, money coming in and no doubt with all the publicity the Corps benevolent fund is already on standby.

IMO being involved in a civvie street attack is something which can happen to anyone. He's just been that bit more unlucky than some.

I hope he recovers quickly and goes on to complete a fulfilling career.
  7. I didn't read anywhere a suggestion that he should go the front of the queue. You are no doubt right that the Corps benelovant fund is on the case, but that has never been a reason for Hols4Heroes not to help. In any case it is not the proposer who decides if and when a family goes out or even whether they are helped, it is the MDN and the team often in conjunction with other agencies. And besides, it was only a suggestion.
  8. WTF. The lad knifed to death, and now this...

I forget to wish the boy all the best of luck and hopefully a swift recovery. :oops:
  9. Good luck to the lad, hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.
  10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Timebandit, Please pass on the good wishes to him and his family.
  11. Stories like this make my funking blood boil.
  12. I will do he many thanks

13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Please pass on the get well wishes from a crab.
  14. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Due to patient confidentiality reasons I cannot disclose much but the attack was unprovoked. He was with his mother and step-father in a working mans's club and went out for a cigarette and was attacked moments later. There was no prior conflict or confrontation. The man who attacked him did not even set foot in the club.

Not for a moment did I suggest that he is treated preferentially. My intent was to raise the issue and request support for him. Some very kind and generous people have already made offers of support for which I am grateful.

There are distinct parallels with Frank who was attacked in Aldershot. Arrsers were impressive in the support they gave to him. I dont know Grouty at all but I do know some of his family quite well. He and his family are sound people. I'll do what I can to support him and his family both professionally and personally. There is much public support for him in Teesside.

He has had a rough 24 hours and has undergone surgery to drain a blood clot on his brain. Currently he is sedated to rest for a day or so.