Sign on a shop window.

#1
SIGN IN A STORE WINDOW


'WE WOULD RATHER DO BUSINESS WITH 1000 ALQAEDA TERRORISTS THAN WITH ONE SINGLE AUSTRALIAN SOLDIER!'

This sign was prominently displayed in the window of a business just outside Sydney.

You are probably outraged at the thought of such an inflammatory statement. However, we are a society which holds Freedom of Speech as perhaps our greatest liberty.

And after all, it is just a sign.

You may ask what kind of business would dare post such a sign.



Answer: A Funeral Home
(Who said morticians had no sense of humour?)

You gotta love Australia (I suppose!)!!
 
#3
I really really like that!

When I read the 1st line I was about to say that the odds should be the other way around, with an explosive belt.

But yet again you convicts have got the better on us!



Just to add: hehehehehehe!
 
#4
The old ones are the best ones.

That joke was in the 1955 movie "The Colditz Story".
The Brit, Dutch, French prisoners are all lined-up for roll-call when the annoying little Nazi asks for volunteers to help mit vee German var effort.
One French officer steps forward and announces that he would rather serve 100 Germans, than one Frenchman. Boos from the Allied POWs follow until the Nazi asks the French officer his occupation, he replies "Undertaker". :D
 
#6
Or a bunch of PC fools would get their backs up, and some mad mullah would point out a bit in the Koran that said it was naughty and declare a fatwa on the business.
 
#7
Would this have received the same positive reaction, if it were worded thus:

WE WOULD RATHER DO BUSINESS WITH 1000 AL QAEDA TERRORISTS THAN ONE SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER


This sign was prominently displayed in the window of a business in Philadelphia. You are probably enraged at the thought of such an inflammatory statement. However, we are a society which holds Freedom of Speech as perhaps our greatest liberty.


And after all, it's just a sign.


You may ask what kind of business would dare post such a sign.


It was a funeral home. God Bless America!


I wonder?

Regards

Mick
 
#8
chippymick said:
Would this have received the same positive reaction, if it were worded thus:

WE WOULD RATHER DO BUSINESS WITH 1000 AL QAEDA TERRORISTS THAN ONE SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER


This sign was prominently displayed in the window of a business in Philadelphia. You are probably enraged at the thought of such an inflammatory statement. However, we are a society which holds Freedom of Speech as perhaps our greatest liberty.


And after all, it's just a sign.


You may ask what kind of business would dare post such a sign.


It was a funeral home. God Bless America!


I wonder?

Regards

Mick
I'm not sure what your point is?
 
#9
Ord_Sgt said:
chippymick said:
Would this have received the same positive reaction, if it were worded thus:

WE WOULD RATHER DO BUSINESS WITH 1000 AL QAEDA TERRORISTS THAN ONE SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER


This sign was prominently displayed in the window of a business in Philadelphia. You are probably enraged at the thought of such an inflammatory statement. However, we are a society which holds Freedom of Speech as perhaps our greatest liberty.


And after all, it's just a sign.


You may ask what kind of business would dare post such a sign.


It was a funeral home. God Bless America!


I wonder?

Regards

Mick
I'm not sure what your point is?
I think he means, would we view this as just good ol' yankee sense of humour or stupid flag-waving? I think anyway. My opinion wouldnt change whichever nationality put such a sign up that was part of the coalition... Except maybe the French.
 
#10
Look we don't quite "get" the US way of supporting their teams, their country or indeed there soldiers. Fair enough. It would be nice if one tenth of the popular support for the US Army was evidenced in the UK.

Yanks may be bone at times but they seem very capable of divorcing their distatste for the war from their attitude to the soldiers on the ground. Maybe Vietnam did have a positive, long term effect on the USA? At least they now know the difference between the slimy sh1ts in suits, who eat breakfast with their families and sleep in their own (or possibly their mistresses') beds and the soldiery, up against it somewhere hot.
 
#11
Cuddles said:
Look we don't quite "get" the US way of supporting their teams, their country or indeed there soldiers. Fair enough. It would be nice if one tenth of the popular support for the US Army was evidenced in the UK.

... At least they now know the difference between the slimy sh1ts in suits, who eat breakfast with their families and sleep in their own (or possibly their mistresses') beds and the soldiery, up against it somewhere hot.
<hammer, nailhead, interface detected>
 
#12
PE4rocks said:
Cuddles said:
Look we don't quite "get" the US way of supporting their teams, their country or indeed there soldiers. Fair enough. It would be nice if one tenth of the popular support for the US Army was evidenced in the UK.

... At least they now know the difference between the slimy sh1ts in suits, who eat breakfast with their families and sleep in their own (or possibly their mistresses') beds and the soldiery, up against it somewhere hot.
<hammer, nailhead, interface detected>
You are very kind...
 
#13
My point is simply this, 'Google is your friend'.

I freely admit at gagging every time I see something signed off with "God bless America"

But at the same time, I absolutely despise knee jerk anti-American attitudes.

There must be a factory somewhere in the US that generates stupid sh1t, 'amazing but true' stories that must be sent to every email address in the world. If there wasn't, Snopes would be out of business.

My inbox ends up full of this crap. The only difference is some stupid person in Australia substitutes America for Australia.

This struck me as such a story. Funereal directors here are very low key. I couldn't see it happening. I was cynical enough to google the title.

It is indeed a Spamism.

Regards

Mick
 
#19
Belt_Twit said:
Fantastic - though I can't remember when Freedom of Speech last applied to us.
IIRC we do not have a constitution in this country, therefore we do not have a right to freedom of speech in this land?
 

Latest Threads