... Sign off, three years in...

To put it simply, pretty unhappy soldier finding the job rather boring and generally dissatisfied. 24 year old PTE, probably eligible for promotion later this year, with approx two years management experience before service, plenty of civvy quals in IT etc.

Just came here to hear the gen about apparently signing off after three years with a year's notice? I've got loads of opportunities outside the service for work and housing, just a bit fed up of it and I think I can use my skills elsewhere outside of the army.
Reckon I should wait out to see if I get L/Cpl?

I've had numerous discussions with colleagues, friends and family about my options, colleagues and friends telling me to get the most out of the army (quals wise) and family telling me to stay in (for bragging rights!). My other half especially wants me out, but I'd assume that would be a common answer from every squaddies'.

I've considered and attempted retrading but nothing has stuck due to a very disgruntled boss not letting anyone leave the trade.

Make two lists: One of reasons to stay, the other of reasons to leave. Then look at them objectively balancing up the pro's and con's.

And/or

You can always put in your sign off paperwork and see if that causes any mad rush to speak to you, ask you why, and try to tempt you to stay in.

Make two lists: One of reasons to stay, the other of reasons to leave. Then look at them objectively balancing up the pro's and con's.

And/or

You can always put in your sign off paperwork and see if that causes any mad rush to speak to you, ask you why, and try to tempt you to stay in.
if I made a pro and con list I think I'd run out of space for the cons, probably not the wisest idea. Yeah, I suspected the CoC would be absolutely flapping to keep me in service.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I doubt it.

if I made a pro and con list I think I'd run out of space for the cons, probably not the wisest idea. Yeah, I suspected the CoC would be absolutely flapping to keep me in service.

It’s not for everyone and if you have given it a good run and the negatives out weigh the positives, I think you know the answer.

As said, submit your notice and see if that gets any traction with a retrade/transfer, or you could Service complaint your boss with an outcome of retrade/transfer. It won’t be comfortable but these dinosaurs really do need to learn!

As an aside, I was pretty p*ssed off with the Army as a young private soldier and wanted to sack it. I got a good course and posting and her I am, still serving after 38 years.

Do whatever feels right, but make sure it’s not a knee jerk. And all the best of luck.

Ok I will be blunt....you dont have management experience at 19-20yrs old. If you were doing it properly at that age you would still be doing it now and not in the RLC. What trade are you? And I am afraid whilst you may think your Boss may "bend over backwards to keep your much needed skills and experience in the Army", in reality as a 3yr Pte, he will go through the motions, tick boxes and then send you on your way for a week to "think it over". Because by the sounds of it, if you have no heart in the job then this is probably reflected day-to-day in how you come across. As usual your missus will be hating it and that passes off to you.
Of course any job in the military can be boring at times but thats when you fall back on the Army camaraderie and banter because there will be 1 or more experiencing the same. Once you get promoted, and its that initial promotion putting you above your peers, which is the hardest to achieve, then work stops being boring quite quickly as people are suddenly looking at you to make a decision. So then your "management experience" is suddenly put into effect which then you may realise what i mean by my opening statement. Stick at it a bit longer and if you are, (eligible and promoted are 2 very different things) promoted then you may enjoy it more.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
I think everybody goes through the NFI stage at some point, the suck it and see advice is probably the best.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
The civi job market is a bit fucked at the moment, especially the lower down the corporate food chain you are, and probably will be for another year or so. Unless you've got a guaranteed 'in' with an employer i'd think carefully and maybe defer it for a while.

Have you thought about re-badging to another Corps? Might be worth trying another avenue before throwing your cards in completely.

Join a tech trade in the RAF . Better prospects more, self respect and less of that military stuff.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Fed up with being fcuked about - transfer to the Guards. You'll suddenly realise how good you had it.

Ok I will be blunt....you dont have management experience at 19-20yrs old. If you were doing it properly at that age you would still be doing it now and not in the RLC. What trade are you? And I am afraid whilst you may think your Boss may "bend over backwards to keep your much needed skills and experience in the Army", in reality as a 3yr Pte, he will go through the motions, tick boxes and then send you on your way for a week to "think it over". Because by the sounds of it, if you have no heart in the job then this is probably reflected day-to-day in how you come across. As usual your missus will be hating it and that passes off to you.
Of course any job in the military can be boring at times but thats when you fall back on the Army camaraderie and banter because there will be 1 or more experiencing the same. Once you get promoted, and its that initial promotion putting you above your peers, which is the hardest to achieve, then work stops being boring quite quickly as people are suddenly looking at you to make a decision. So then your "management experience" is suddenly put into effect which then you may realise what i mean by my opening statement. Stick at it a bit longer and if you are, (eligible and promoted are 2 very different things) promoted then you may enjoy it more.

To give you the gen from my behalf, I can confirm that I was atleast an assistant manager at a cosy Tesco Express somewhere in a pretty lazy town from 19 to 21! Where did it get me? No where, because they're wasn't enough hours and I was cuckoo'd into joining up! Initially was going to joined the sigs but the careers officer shifted me towards the RLC direction as "its basically the same thing as that".

I enjoy the bants as much as any other squaddie does, but I think my frustrations lay more towards me not understanding my job or how the army actually works (think bullshit baffles brains).

Anyway, may I also point out that we've steered a bit off-topic and that no one has confirmed whenever or not one can sign off at a three-year point.

I would strongly suggest that you transfer to the Royal Signals, they are in the process of transforming the Corps for the better. You will be given every course you can think of

D

Deleted 15653

I would strongly suggest that you transfer to the Royal Signals, they are in the process of transforming the Corps for the better. You will be given every course you can think of
They've been saying that for decades.

To the OP, transfer to the Intelligence Corps. Rapid promotion and fit women - you might even find one you want to marry...I did!*

*and we are still married 28 years on, although we are about to have a new orangery built over the old patio with a foot thick concrete bed. If I suddenly stop posting, you now where I am...

RTU'd

LE
A steady job, good pension, good pay & a career & you think in these times of covid its rosy in civy street?

Think again, IT companies laying people off, unless you are MSCE or CCNP then stay put.
My lot take those with BSc in Computer subjects as juniors on 1st line support.

Kids are at 18 coming out of College with CCNA as a basic with CompTIA as extras.

Stay put get promoted & soldier on, apply for all course's you can.

To put it simply, pretty unhappy soldier finding the job rather boring and generally dissatisfied. 24 year old PTE, probably eligible for promotion later this year, with approx two years management experience before service, plenty of civvy quals in IT etc.

Just came here to hear the gen about apparently signing off after three years with a year's notice? I've got loads of opportunities outside the service for work and housing, just a bit fed up of it and I think I can use my skills elsewhere outside of the army.
Reckon I should wait out to see if I get L/Cpl?

I've had numerous discussions with colleagues, friends and family about my options, colleagues and friends telling me to get the most out of the army (quals wise) and family telling me to stay in (for bragging rights!). My other half especially wants me out, but I'd assume that would be a common answer from every squaddies'.

I've considered and attempted retrading but nothing has stuck due to a very disgruntled boss not letting anyone leave the trade.

Your family claiming bragging rights for an RLC mong?

It could only be worse if you were RAF Regt.

No wonder you're suffering from NAAFI* syndrome.

*No Ambition And Fcukall Interest.

Job market is mighty-tight at the moment (depending what you look at, of course) - there's a lot to be said for boring, steady wages, for a year at least.
Get on as many courses as possible - even if you don't like it, at least it's not the same old same-o!

It'll seem like a million years at 24, but unless you see your perfect desert island job, 10,or 12months ain't all that long. Good luck