Sign off for a preference posting

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Fraser, May 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have heard recently that there have been a number of instances where MCM Div have offered gold-plated, diamond-encrusted carrots to individuals who have signed off or threaten to sign off. Usually the carrot comes in the form of a posting of choice for the individual.

Now we all know that this has been going on for years, but I was briefed by MCM Div a couple of years ago that this was all going to stop. Clearly this is not the case; in fact, I get the distinct impression that this is once again becoming an acceptable practice for Glasgow.

Is this prevalent throughout the Corps?

2. What other carrots would you want them to dangle?

More wages, promotion? Or just let people walk?

I don´t know if it happens in your corps or not, but Manning and Records need something to offer to keep someone in.

3. i would think that the person at MCM Div responsible for negotiating such things is well aware of:

a. whether the soldiers in question are genuinely disaffected, or just pushing it to try and get a decent posting.

b. whether they are worth retaining.

there's a world of difference between an immature, sulky "i'm going to sign off if you don't give me what i want" and a soldier who has signed off, is set on leaving... and nobody has made a determined effort to get to the root of the problem, found something that they want to do and tried to retain them. isn't that what we are supposed to do as line managers?

if the soldier is worth retaining, we should make every reasonable effort to do so. if that means informing MCM div of a posting in which they are interested, and it can be done fairly... then so be it. i've got no problem with it, personally. if it helps retain good people - as chocolate frog said, what else is there to offer?

of course, if they are just playing a game and threatening to throw their teddy out of the pram, then they should immediately be posted to Digby. :)

4. I´ve seen a few cases of "sign of to get a good posting" go sadly wrong for the signed off. Not always so easy to get back in/cancel notice.

Especially if you have been a bit naughty or a bit of a handful.

5. I would find the practice rather distasteful and tantamount to blackmail. Why should people who throw teddies because they can't get what they want be given prime postings, whereas those of us who accept that you can't have sunshine posting after sunshine posting be penalised?

6. I´ve seen a few cases of "sign of to get a good posting" go sadly wrong for the signed off. Not always so easy to get back in/cancel notice.

Especially if you have been a bit naughty or a bit of a handful.

Always a gutsy move, if played with a sane and not immature head.

7. In some cases there may be a valid reason. The "sunshine" posting could be a posting to Aldershot because the soldiers family lives nearby.

Or it could be a posting that offers a bit more job satisfaction, to a soldier who through no fault of their own has been ground down by monotonous work at more mundane posts.

It could even be an extention at such a dull unit, which allows the soldiers family to continue education or work.

You will find those who sign off in pursuit of a positng to Barbados are usually disappointd.

It is simpley man managment. Some of our lads are posted to "non-deployable" posts as a similar carrot. Esp those who have been on back to back tours for a few years.

One very big arguement against the civilisation of non deplyable slots.

8. That would never be the case!

9. I met a few juniors who have done it now.

Eventually though isn't it just like the 'boy who cried wolf'?

Don't play your ace to soon and all that :wink:

I think a distinction between those that say

'I want to leave' and the MCMD saying 'what can we do to get you to stay?'

and those that say

'I am leaving if I don't get this [insert demand of choice]!'

10. Seen it too many times and I can see both sides of the argument.

The posting one doesn't piss me off nearly as much as the "I didn't come off the board so I am signing off" and then they mysteriously come off a shadow board.

11. It could even be an extention at such a dull unit, which allows the soldiers family to continue education or work.

You will find those who sign off in pursuit of a positng to Barbados are usually disappointd.

It is simpley man-managment. Some of our lads are posted to "non-deployable" posts as a similar carrot. Esp those who have been on back to back tours for a few years.

One very big arguement against the civilisation of non deplyable slots.

If only that were the case and not just plain old civilianisation!

PS yes I have been away a while and yes I have been drinking and yes I am bored!

12. *scribbling furiously* :)

13. On a similar theme, I'm aware that DHU has a similar problem - you may call it the HUMINT trap. We are understrength on Basic Handlers, and badly understrength on AHOs. I've known people be interested in pursuing the HUMINT line, but have been put off by the following equation:

Apply for the course because you fancy adding to your toolbox(plus addpay and golden hello)

Pass advanced/basic

Tour at DHU

Ask for something different now that you've done that aspect of the Corps

"You're joking - we can't afford to let you go - we're badly understrength"

Retour at DHU whilst being increasingly unhappy

Tell everyone who is listening not to apply for HUMINT as you will be trapped

Few people apply for HUMINT

DHU remains understrength

Your chances of leaving remain slim

Sign off.

14. I'm sure I've heard that story somewhere else, but without the addpay and golden hello. :?

It's good to see that the Corps has learned from the mistakes that have been made managing linguists' careers. :roll:

15. Wonder why missus divorcing you? lol