SIG P226 to replace Browning Hi-Power ?!

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by RCT(V), Dec 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The above piece of news found in “another place” surprised me! Have I missed something?

If true, I realise it may not be a big news item, when we are loosing Nimrod, ‘carriers, Harrier, RFA ships, etc.

However, I cannot imagine we are going to replace every (underutilised) L9A1 Browning Hi-Power pistol, that is hiding in armouries all over the land!

I’ve used the search function here, and cannot find anything relevant.

I’ve searched the “British Army” web-site (under “light weapons”). They do not even mention any pistol.

Attached Files:

2. The L9s in armouries all over the country have been in service for decades, absolutely donkeys' years, used and abused and frequently poorly maintained. After 20 or 30 years of nuggets not cleaning them and letting the hammers slam down rather than controlling them they are a little worse for wear and need replacing. AIUI the SIG was a UOR for Afghanistan because there weren't enough serviceable L9s.

Blue-Sophist's probably the person to ask about L9s, I seem to remember him saying something about competitive shooting with them.

3. I imagine that when the Afghan draw-down begins, every UOR item will be withdrawn and flogged off by HMG. The brief "age of the pistol" will also evaporate, and it will revert to case of a few L9s being kept in armouries for the CO and medics. There are quite enough decent L9s left for that sort of scale of issue.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

UOR sell offs, me bags the GMG and a wagon to drive it around, Oh a pikey hunting we will go, paintballs pah, have some 40mm!

5. Why is it that after every war of any duration we unlearn everything we relearned during the war about sidearms?

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Whats wrong with getting back to real soldiering?

7. What you mean? I reckon the Sigs are the best choice possible, all things considered. they are tried and tested and seem to work for most other armed forces, law enforcement. Accuracy may leave something to be desired, (especially in my hands, if you remember :))but in their peer group they are still coming near top when compared to what is out there in the pistols market. Things I could tell you we used to do with the P220s, and they still shoot...

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No, you need to read 4T's comments first!

9. As the proud owner of a P226 i won't disagree with that. however, my point was that between wars the Army always forgets the utility of handguns and it all has to be relearned a couple of years into the next big nastiness.

This morning I received my copy of David Thomas's thesis about pistol use in the First World War, which I have just started reading, and he makes a similar point.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I imagine that when the Afghan draw-down begins, every UOR item will be withdrawn and flogged off by HMG. The brief "age of the pistol" will also evaporate, and it will revert to case of a few L9s being kept in armouries for the CO and medics. There are quite enough decent L9s left for that sort of scale of issue.

Slightly ironic comments from 4T, heaven forbid they'll be retiring the Martini Henry next!

11. Ah gotcha. did not connect the dots with 4T's thread. Nodding all 'round then. I made the very same point on another thread, could not agree more with you. I sold my P239 9mm though (they are US made now) could not get used to that loooooooooooooooong trigger pull. Currently looking around for a good concealable subcompact, not fancying Glocks I have an eye on the Walther P99C...