• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Siege of Jadotville film

I had coffee this morning with a colleague who went with his father for the presentation of his Jadotville medal.

On the way home in the car and a 'pitstop' in the pub, his Dad told him a few more stories like one of the lads with him at Jadotville was young enough that his mother was still drawing the Children's Allowance for him.

One of his Dad's former comrades arrived to the ceremony by ambulance; he had taken ill on the way and an ambulance was called.

He refused to be taken to hospital, he told them he had waited 56 years for this medal and he was f****d if he was going miss it now! So they made a long detour via Custume Barracks, the paramedics got him sorted, went with him and his family and he was presented with his medal.

Does anyone know why it took so long for the medal? Was the government at the time embarrassed about their surrender, even after such a heroic action?

ugly

LE
Frankly not sure if anyone including the Irish gov't actually had a clue as to what happened there

Does anyone know why it took so long for the medal? Was the government at the time embarrassed about their surrender, even after such a heroic action?
They didn’t surrender one side didn’t honour the truce

It wasn’t really common knowledge even in the DF until maybe 10 years ago (obviously it was known about at the time) after a few books.

TBH I would say that officialdom let down the A Coy in the situation they put them in and for that reason it was blamed on the troops on the ground

I would go with that. A Coy was hung out to dry and recognizing their actions would call attention to the failings of the rest of the battalion and ONUC. At the time, much capital was made of the surrender of a UN company.

Same story with the water cooled M1917A1 Caliber .30 Machine Gun that was pretty well sneered at by US Army units who still had it in the late 1940s, but come the Korean War it was a treasured item on the battlefield for a unit in defence.
A tad smelly if the only water source was urine, but the barrel never overheated.
Important to add surgical alcohol to the reservoir once the temperatures plummeted though, or so I was told.

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed this film, gritty, believable and (yet again) showing how absolutely useless the UN were even back then. You can't help but feel for the lads who were left hanging out to dry.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, gritty, believable and (yet again) showing how absolutely useless the UN were even back then. You can't help but feel for the lads who were left hanging out to dry.
In fairness to the UN, this was the first peacekeeping mission so to a degree everyone was learning on the job.

However it effectively decended into peace enforcing and arguably a war

In fairness to the UN, this was the first peacekeeping mission so to a degree everyone was learning on the job.

I think his criticism was levelled at the political decision making, not the tactical actions. The UN were a shambles then, I question how much has changed? Can anybody name any great UN successes?

I think his criticism was levelled at the political decision making, not the tactical actions. The UN were a shambles then, I question how much has changed? Can anybody name any great UN successes?
Depends on what you count as a success?
There are lots of ways of measuring that, saving someone’s life, a DDR process, free and fair elections, a safer and more secure environment, leaving the country in a more stable situation, prevention of further fighting, withdrawal without the country falling apart etc etc

They have all have successes.

Are they prefect? No

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

I thought the Egypt UNEF I was first?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sirbhp Afghanistan 10
Helm Modelling Forum - Military & non military models 1
Helm The Book Club 0