Sick Parade

Did a Jarrod but no hits.
Anyone do sick parades or just the R. Sigs?
You felt unwell , maybe had a fever, the shits . Had to get dressed in you number twos, with your washing/shaving bag and Army issued PJs . Report to the RSM and ask permission to go to see the MO?

Great times , not

Last edited:
Did a Garrod but no hits.
You felt unwell , maybe had a fever, the shits . Had to get dressed in you number twos, with your washing/shaving bag and Army issued PJs . Report to the RSM and ask permission to go to see the MO?

Great times , not
2LSR brought it in for a while but for Cpls and below only.
4LSR brought in some **** rule where you had to go into work before going sick, (No rush or anything eh) but then the CO and RSM were ******* bellthronks.

No 22Sigs was a normal thing. I ripped an arm muscle , what they are today I have no idea . Had to ask permission from my troop Staffy to go sick . Had to dress up and ask the Chief Clerk permission to ask the RSM. On “marching into his office “ got a shout at as I was ‘Not marching correctly’

After explaining my arm was not working ?Was allowed to go to the med center.

Also remember in Harrogate as an AT in 1982 . In the MRS on a Monday morning , being told to “ lie flat at attention “ as the CO walked through to see how his men were. Hard to do with D and V. *******

Bacongrills

On ROPS
On ROPs
We once had a civvie GP stand in for the MO, a spitting image of Gandhi, he gave me 16 weeks leave for my herniated disk, I never even made it out the gate with that chit, RSM called me back and the Adjutant sent me to see his own personal Dr.

By a massive coincidence that Dr found I only needed six weeks leave, wasn't that lucky ?

no f in beer

Old-Salt
AAC Harrogate, 1990, had to dress in best bib and tucker to go sick (even as permanant staff), carry all the gear. Only did it once, Chest infection, some antibiotics. Doc was close to be fair, Pneumonia, 2 weeks in Catterick BMH

Great times , not
Really? At training units, both initial and trade training, we had to line up behind the squad but not in No. twos.
Then, after the inspection, got jogged off to the med cen.
Never in a working unit, though. (3 Sig Regiments, 2 Squadrons and a Troop).
One place had a civvy doc that came in each day and you had to go through some retired WO as the receptionist but places with an MO it was just rock up or phone.

Even at 11 Sigs when it was at Catterick don't recall the sickies in No 2s and I'm going back to 1968. They did have to have "going sick" bag, though with the washing and shaving kit etc but not at a working unit.

Great times , not
Why don't you come out with it straight and ask who has had the clap?

and why the **** did you need to have your plimsolls with you in your smallpack?
If I was fit enough to go tarmac slapping I wouldn't need to go sick would I?

Great times , not
Morning @old bloke,
My bold. :oops::?.
Sick parade in Barrack dress trousers, ironed No2 dress shirt. Highly polished shoes, carrying dhobi and PT kit at depot.
At Regiment, as per whatever came after morning muster, carrying fags, 'Zippo', bristley brush, pen/clipboard or other equiptment needed for a day off ;).

If it hasn't been mentioned, I think it's "Garrod" with a 'J'.

E2a: Depot sick parade headwear, Forage Cap.

Last edited:

Issi

War Hero
We had to walk about 3/4 mile to HQ to inform them that you wanted to go on sick parade.
And then walk the 3/4 mile back to the Med Centre.

The Med Centre was directly behind our block!

We had to walk about 3/4 mile to HQ to inform them that you wanted to go on sick parade.

You can't argue with Army logic.

Also remember in Harrogate as an AT in 1982 . In the MRS on a Monday morning , being told to “ lie flat at attention “ as the CO walked through to see how his men were. Hard to do with D and V. *******
I was at Harrogate 82-84 and never went sick just because of the hassle, lemsip or beechams from the Naafi was my usual medicine, also went straight to 22 Sigs after Harrogate and don't remember anyone going sick because of the visit to RSM's office. Only 2 places I encountered this though.

Morning @Issi,
Intentionally done to improve fitness, also character building;)

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
No2s with kidney pouches with a hospital kit packed in it which was inspected. Some companies made you 253 your kit. Done, I believe, to prevent malingering. All it really did was make genuinely ill soldiers suffer.

Last edited:
2LSR brought it in for a while but for Cpls and below only.
4LSR brought in some **** rule where you had to go into work before going sick, (No rush or anything eh) but then the CO and RSM were ******* bellthronks.
Remember this happening at Gutersloh.

Think 1 LSR may have had a similar policy?

It didn't last as noted further down the thread some genuinely ill soldiers did not go sick due to the eff around factor. Common sense prevailed in the end.

As for the CO, if it is the same one I am thinking about a total buffoon. RSM....didn't have much dealings with but may know which one you are referring to.

Latest Threads