Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sick Laptop - anyone help please?

I just checked; the Windows version of Safari was stopped in 2012 at version 5, and the power saver feature didn't come in until v7, so the Windows version won't have it.

However, a quick Google shows that there are plugins for Chrome that do a similar thing "click to plugin" and "click to flash". You might try that.

How much RAM do you have and what processor?

How much space is free on your hard drive?

Do you use your laptop on a hard surface (table) or soft (on your duvet in bed). Never use on a soft surface such as your lap. It blocks the ventilation causing over heating. If you have a large hard placemat from the dining room, that is a great alternative to bespoke solutions.

I also recommend using Google chrome and adding 'adblock plus' to the applications. Ads take up a massive amount of resources. It makes a noticeable difference on my high speed low drag gaming rig.

I'm experiencing real problems with my laptop* at the moment and I've not got the knowledge to resolve it.
Symptoms as follows:

1. Not long after I connect to the internet and log into a website (not just ARRSE), the laptop freezes up and I can't type or move around from one site to another. This post is taking ages to complete for example, as every second or third character I type doesn't appear on the screen.

2. It 'un-freezes' intermittently, but then goes back into freeze mode on a regular basis. This is sometimes accompanied by a text box at the bottom of the screen: e.g. "ARRSE is not responding due to a long running script".

3. I get so frustrated that I log out, switch off the laptop and log back in again. Sometimes this action seems to free up the laptop and it works normally, other times, the problem persists. When experiencing the problem and then trying to log off, I have to force a shut down, as there is " an open programme (Task Host?) preventing Windows from shutting down".

Anyone out there recognise these symptoms and able to provide advice on how to resolve the issue?
Thanks in advance.

*I have a three year old Toshiba Satellite L6700, which up until recently has served me well. I only use it for basic MS Office stuff and surfing the web, so I don't think it's a capacity problem.

i had this issue for a while try this

1] switch on lap top.

2]wait for [home] page to load ,then hit the 'cross' in the right hand corner

3] remove dongle for a second or two ,basically break the conection thats all.

4] then replace it

5] wait for page to load up ,then head straight to the page ie arrse you want .

i do this every tme now and it always works if you are on a data limit you can also watch a certain amount of you tube if you've gone over your limit

Last edited:

1] switch on lap top.

4] then replace it

i do this every tme now and it always works if you are on a data limit you can also watch a certain amount of you tube if you've gone over your limit

I don't think this is his issue, you mong

1] switch on lap top.

4] then replace it

Not many people will use a dongle for internet access, assuming that's what you meant. More likely is either a built-in WiFi connection (as it is a laptop), or a wired Ethernet connection. Even if it were a 3 or 4G dongle, lack of bandwidth on the air interface would not cause his computer to become unresponsive, just the browser.

If you are on a data limit then a) your plan is shite b) disconnecting won't do a damned thing about that. The data is counted in the network, not on your end.

Great responses from you guys I have exactly the same problem as the OP , I suspect that having only 2GB of ram may be part of the problem.

Great responses from you guys I have exactly the same problem as the OP , I suspect that having only 2GB of ram may be part of the problem.

Correct.

What browser are you using?

IE 11, have 1.8 Gb being used at the moment

Install Chrome. Put adblock plus on it. It'll run a bit better but you'll need more RAM eventually. 4GB seems to be the bare minimum these days for a smooth experience. (Stand fast all you crusty feckers running 486's on a sliver of memory. Most of us aint happy about waiting ten minutes for each page to load)

It has the added benefit of integrating with your phone if you are on android.

Almost everything I do on my phone is synchronised with my PC browser through the cloud so I don't even have to plug it in.

I can install things on my phone using my PC over the internet. Dont have to even be in the same county as my phone.

IE 11, have 1.8 Gb being used at the moment

Also try looking at what background processes are running. A lot of things can be shut down when you dont need them. Antivirus takes up a lot of overheads too.

(Pro tip. I dont have one running, I am super careful what I put on my machine and run regular scans with malwarebytes)

Obviously every computer is different so it depends on your particular device and what you have on it.

Latest Threads