Sicily 1943

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Scouting for Boys, Mar 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm hoping to go to Sicily later this year with the management.

Can anyone suggest a good book on Husky?

Thanks

2. Carlo D'Este book - Bitter Victory: The Battle for Sicily.
    Very good author, ex US Lt Col . I read it years ago and pretty well covers it. Checked it on amazon ('cos i'm a nice guy like that) and its about 7quid.

3. The Day of Battle, Rick Atkinson good read but not too detailedas its an overview of most of the Italian campaign.

4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Just remember to read a British account. This episode cropped up on The World At War (UKTV History) earlier this week. In a precursor to Normandy, the British took on the entire defence force of Sicily head on while the Americans under Patton took a swan round the outside and met no resistance.

We all know therefore that if you read an American history book on Sicily in WW2 it will be very thin because nothing happened.

5. My understanding was that the septics cut a deal with Lucky Luciano. Unfortunately we didn't have the same connections, although if we'd had to invade Malta we could have done a deal in a coffee bar in Soho.

6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Yes they did touch on that, but that only kept the Italians off the American forces. British troops faced up to the entire German garrison.

7. Unfortunately it fails to mention how jittery, spineless American pilots succeeded in drowning the cream of our Airborne forces by bottling out and releasing the gliders too far out to sea.

8. Get in touch with the Regimental museums of those regiments that took part (Border, South Staffs and .. er .. was it KOSB?). You'll find them all on the web, and I'm sure they'd be delighted to help.

9. it wasnt just an airborne show you know the first and eighth armies had a bit of a role to

10. Sorry! Displaying my ignorance while trying to help. No disrespect meant to the First and Eighth Armies.

11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Didn't RN and USN have a hand in that by opening up on the aircraft as they passed over?

Wasn't it the first time the lufftwaffe used a ' remote control' gudied bomb to sink some ships?

12. Yes, the matlocks were specifically ordered to hold their fire and not engage aircraft to avoid blue on blues. They ignored it with the result planes were lost and gliders released early. I can see that the navy may obviously have been nervous. The mediterrean was a pretty dangerous place to be with all the Axis airbases and stukas etc... around. Just look at the convoy losses into Malta. No excuses for ignoring orders, but reasons why. Likewise the yank C47 pilots would most probably have been their first time exposed to flak. Tough job.

On the Yanks hooking to the west on the relatively easier route, yes thats was easier than fighting up the east coast, but Alexander was calling the shots and sure Monty bent his ear to cherry pick that dubious honour. Patton was a bit of a cock in many ways but one thing he didnt do was duck out of a fight. In fact I believe the yanks actually got dicked around a bit by Alexander and Monty, and Patton had to pull back Bradleys division to give us a shot at the glory when in fact Monty acknowleged later that if Bradley had not been pulled back they could have cut off almost the entire German corps.
    As it was I think 55k of the 60k Germans managed to evacuate with most of their equipment. Their Dunkirk. Sicily took far far longer than it should have and was a victory of sorts for the Germans really considering they faced over 400k allied troops, held them for weeks longer than planned and then got away. Lots of lessons learnt the hard way that paid dividend in D-Day though.
    Thats my understanding anyway, I wasnt actually there...

13. Try Alan Wickers biog he was a reporter there and it was in his recent tv prog.

14. Extremely well balanced analysis in response to my rant.... Respect!