• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

SIB retaining body parts

cpunk

LE
If it was the SIB you can rest assured the body parts will be penis's and I bet the are monkey teeth marks in all of them
There was an SIB bloke who used to tout around someone's ******** in a jar in the 80s: a soldier who had offed himself by means of a self-buggery device involving a broomhandle. I imagine this is all in the same spirit of cheery comedy...

I think the BBC are over-hyping this matter. Every news report this morning has screamed 'BODY PARTS' across the airwaves giving the listener to believe that some bloodthirsty Monkey has got a secret tin locker full of arms and legs. Of course, I could be wrong. On further examination, it would appear that someone has got a handful of lab slides. So ****ing what?

The parts have been retained for DNA purposes so they can be matched if further parts are recovered. Basically it involves the guys who have been blown apart.

Alsacien

MIA
The parts have been retained for DNA purposes so they can be matched if further parts are recovered. Basically it involves the guys who have been blown apart.
That is the reality.

It appears to be over hyped by the media (how odd...).
It seems that they are tissue samples on slides rather than the implied arms and legs......

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I hope this doesn't turn into a scouser style grieffest with the press winding families up.

From the news this morning the SIB have been holding some DNA slides and the John Radcliff in Oxford have some 'major body parts'.

Whilst its concerning that an investigating agency has not correctly followed all procedures it should be remembered that they were initially collected in good faith for very important reasons.

No amount of stirring will bring back the dead nor will it bring any comfort to their loved ones.

There was an SIB bloke who used to tout around someone's ******** in a jar in the 80s: a soldier who had offed himself by means of a self-buggery device involving a broomhandle. I imagine this is all in the same spirit of cheery comedy...
The tale of the REME soldier, the chair, the broomstick and the loss of balance at the critical moment was told to me during Int Corps trade training in 1976 as an example of the weird stuff people do that might have security implications, but the existance of the pickled ringpiece was not mentioned. Personally, I think a monkey who felt the need to keep such a thing would be a greater security concern that a craftsman who had expired during a bout of solitary tromboning.

Considering the number of bodies that turn up on battle sites years afterwards that no-one can identify then retention of DNA material is understandable although once tested why not just keep the print out?

However a micro-slice of tissue is hardly something to get worked up about and I doubt that anyone counts hairs or eyelashes to make sure they're all there. Shit raking by the Mail and unnecessary for grieving families.

As always, the media try to make demons out of those who are trying to follow the letter of the law.

Even civvy police keep "parts" from time to time if they cannot be identified. A relation of mine has been involved in this "scandal" being reported in the papers. He is a military doctor who, during is time in Afghanistan and Iraq, has had to try and identify lots of "bits" to try and work out who has been killed. From all accounts, this is not the most pleasent of pastimes!

Very often they have several bodies that have various bits missing. They also have a large bag full of, as he puts it, human stew. Its a case of then playing "gory jigsaws" and trying to find out what bit belongs where.

Sometimes they cannot establish this, so keep recognisable parts (fingers, toes and the like) until they can be formally identified as belonging to so and so. Non recognisable parts are incinerated. As already stated, slides are also kept. I believe a DNA sample of EVERY dead soldier is kept so that if there is every any issue with identification in the future, there is solid proof.

The reason they go to this trouble is that families tend to get upset when they find out that there son/daughter they have buried contains other peoples parts or has bits missing.

I do not envy the poor sods that have this task to perform and the papers should be a little more restraint before trying to whip up an outrage storm.

The tale of the REME soldier, the chair, the broomstick and the loss of balance at the critical moment was told to me during Int Corps trade training in 1976 as an example of the weird stuff people do that might have security implications, but the existance of the pickled ringpiece was not mentioned. Personally, I think a monkey who felt the need to keep such a thing would be a greater security concern that a craftsman who had expired during a bout of solitary tromboning.
I once attended a security briefing that was given by two Int Corps NCOs. One of them mentioned a method they use to gather intelligence. It struck a chord with me and I always remembered what was said. Some 12 years later I was sat with an Int Corps WO in the mess in Norway and mentioned the intel gathering method.

His eyes nearly popped out of his head and he told me that it was a highly secret operation and could cost lives if it were known and he made a big thing of taking down what I could remember of the security brief, when it was and who gave it. It is amazing how the desire to show off can totally contradict the whole ethos of what the int Corps stood for.

Latest Threads