Shut down. Windows 7 . Intel CORE i3.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Monty417, Sep 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having closed all of my programmes before I shut down my laptop, I now am getting told that it is still waiting for programmes to close and I have hang around or force shutdown. This has now extended my shutdown from about 12 secs to up to a minute.

Whilst not alarming, it is a bloody annoying pain in the arrse. Anyone else have this problem?

2. You've probably got programs running in the background that you haven't closed. I get it with Steam sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I get that all the time. It is also quite slow as it starts, loading TSRs I assume. I tend to use hibernate rather than shut down.

4. i have had that message hang on my desktop a lot over the last year, sometimes its caused by some backround task like av update check, sometimes it down to other things like windows search and indexing service.

tbh set your laptop to ignor the lid possition and you should be able to close it and walk away in the knowledge that the machine will finish shutting down, the shutdown cant be stopped and your machine is safe.

if your getting the message all the time use advanced options and disable everythign that isnt needed for normal operation, search and indexing service and media streaming services are the two primary culprits, (ehvcs.exe) is the primary problem on my network becos my kids like to play each others cd's w/o asking each other 8)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah, that's what it says. Waiting for background programmes to finish or similar. But I have closed everything that I have been using and it never used to do this unless I left one open.

Thanks anyway, like I say, not alarming, just pisses me off. :)

6. Good option, thanks for that. :thumright:

7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if you dont want to mess around with msconfig and want a program then startupcpl is one which can turn off all those programs which startup that you dont need or arent sure. soluto is a new one but works in a similar way to speed up boot as well.

you can also set programs to auto end on shutdown and speed up the kill hanging apps which might help.

hibernate is a better way to manage the machine though with the odd reboot to refresh it once a week or so. just set the power options to hibernate on power button or set lid close to give it 5 mins to suspend then hibernate if you arent just moving rooms.

• Like Like x 1
  8. well if your after a tune up app then theres a lot of choice out there, on my gaming rig i personally use TuneUp Utilities, but i know a lot of laptops manufacturers bundle tuneup app's with there default install os (hp one is pretty good dell one is on vista and not so great) but its al lswings and roundabouts.

if your interested in what they do and how they do it playing with the services and or msconfig and reading all about it on google is a better way to start off.

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

'ultimate windows tweaker v1.1' is a small freeware prog which allows you to mess about without having to install a full blown utilities package as a lot of the tweak utilities can be a bit of pain unless you uninstall them afterwards, some are out and out malware/scareware so avoid anything asking you to upgrade or install something else.

the only progs you really need at startup are your windows specific ones and antivirus/spyware type things. bittorrent, skype, iplayer, msn etc.. can be removed and then run when you want them as they will continuously be trying to get online or check for updates all the time. browser toolbars as as bad as malware for that sort of thing.

revounistaller
    ccleanup
    slim utilities slim pc
    soluto all give you options for disabling, delaying or uninstalling stuff

a lot of tuneup utilities do registry cleans/optimising and there is some debate as to whether they do more harm than good so when it doubt back it up. you would get more speed by defragging with a decent defrag utility like defraggler or ultimate defrag and moving your stuff into a 'my stuff' partition so it only messes up windows files and isnt mixing everything else in with it.

Windows 7 Tweaks, Tips and How-To Articles

• Like Like x 1